Error message STOP: 0x0000007E (Windows BSOD)

Discussion in 'Software' started by SkyChimp, Feb 13, 2010.

1. SkyChimp

SkyChimp Private E-2

This just happened on my wife's computer about 1:30am The computer was hybernating when we were on the couch and started hearing McAfee's alerts go off like a battleship. I started seeing messages like Error loading .dll and Trojans in the WINDOWS/Temp folder being blocked by McAfee. When I restarted the computer, the blue screen of death comes up when loading Windows XP Pro (SP3). I have tried everything to get it to load and here is what I can't do.

I can't......

Start Windows Normally
    Last Known Good Configuration
    Safe Mode

Here is the Error message that keeps coming up.

A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your dardwar vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xB9ED8EEC, 0XBA4C35C, 0XBA4C3228)

*** nvata.sys - Address B9ED8EEC base at B9EC1000, DateStamp 4536c767

Any help would be appreciated. Our wedding photos and all kids phots are on this computer.

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

First thing I would do is to remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer (with malware protection) as slave, and copy across to the master hard drive those valuable documents you can't afford to lose.
    You may be able to make copies through a command prompt as well, if you can get to one?
    Do you have a Windows installation disk?
    Is that the full error message?
    Are you familiar with working in the BIOS?

P.S.
    Too much information!LOL

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  3. SkyChimp

SkyChimp Private E-2

*How do I make copies thru command prompt?

*Yes I have the windows XP installation disk.

*Yes that is the full message.

*Somewhat familiar.

~~ Remember we are married so we were sleeping on the couch ~~ :-D

4. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Sorry, I forgot about the stuff at the bottom of your post - I was only looking at your Subject line.

In the following, there are some important spaces in things that have to be typed. To make them more clear, I have used two spaces instead of one – but you only need one. I think two is OK though, so you can still cut and paste.

Before doing anything else, try going to your command prompt, assuming you can get there, and type chkdsk /r It will take a while to run, but it might solve the problem, and it could be a good first step.

Making copies through Command Prompt (CP):
    Note: I’m not sure this will work. Perhaps someone else can verify, or you can just try it.
    You firstly need something to copy onto. A memory stick (flash drive) might be best. Plug it in and boot to CP (I guess that will be SafeMode with CP in your case, if you can do that. You can also use the Recovery Console on your XP disk, although you may have to remove console restrictions to copy to removable media. I have never done this. Instructions are here: http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm).
    You next need to find which drive letter has been assigned to your memory stick. The quickest way I know is to use trial and error. It's probably going to be E:, so at the CD, type E:
    If you get a new command prompt, you have hit a valid drive. Next type DIR. If you get a list of whatever is on your Memory Stick, you're in business.
    If it's not E:, try typing other letters in followed by a colon.
    Let's assume it's E:.
    Your next step to find the documents you want to copy. You will need to know their names (or just grab everything you can).
    Go back to your hard drive directory (type C:)
    Type DIR
    This lists all your folders and files at this level.
    If you see a folder where you think your files might be, e.g. My Documents, type cd my documents
    Type DIR and look for your photos folder - say it's called My Pics. If you see it there, type cd my pics
    [To go backwards, to the previous level, type cd ..]
    Type copy * E:
    (remembering that E: is your memory stick)
    That should copy everything from My Pics to your memory stick.
    It may be that the wild card (*) doesn’t work, in which case you will have to type the full file path, e.g. copy C:\my documents\my pics E:
    That also may not work, in which case you might have to type in the full file path to each file.
    Type exit to exit.
    As for your error, you may be able to fix it by copying nvata.sys back into your drivers folder, using the command prompt. You may find it on your motherboard disk, if you have one, or you may be able to find one elsewhere - it seems it's not on the XP disk.
    Insert the disk with the nvata.sys file. At the command prompt, type copy e:\nvata.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers (where E is the drive with the file) and hit enter. Once file has been copied, type EXIT. This will reboot your system. Remove disk.
    (Taken from http://www.techspot.com/news/5587-nforce-v24x-mainboard-drivers-removed.html)
    Another alternative may be to reinstall your chipset drivers. Let's see what happens with this lot first.

On a couch with your wife at the beach in Florida in mid-winter, and you’re sleeping. Yeah, right!! rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds