Error Message Using Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by msperry, May 2, 2004.

1. msperry

msperry Private E-2

While in Newsgroups, Outlook Express, I often get the following: "Misimn has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL. Msimn will now close." Outlook then must be restarted and all works well for a short time then this shutdown re-occurs.
    Computer= Dell Dimension 4100
    OS= WinMe
    Connection= DSL

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

One of many try this
    This behavior can occur if the Win386.swp file located in the Windows folder has its file attributes set to read only. Windows uses the Win386.swp file to create virtual memory.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue:

1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    2. In the Named box, type win386.swp.
    3. In the Look in box, click Drive C, and then click Find Now.
    4. Right-click the Win386.swp file, click Properties, and then click to clear the Read-only check box.
    5. Click Apply, and then click Close.

:) :cool:

3. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Went through steps, Win386.swp Properties had Archive checked, not Read Only. I assume this was not the problem. This file's size is at 233 MB. Is that normal? Could this be a problem? There is plenty of unused drive space on C.

4. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Ok what do you have installed for virus control.Do you have the following spybot--adware--cwshredder if so have you done a scan yet.

5. msperry

msperry Private E-2

In answer to several replies:

1. Installed Virus Controls: Norton AntiVirus 2003, Ad-aware 6.0 (Have not run Ad-aware scan for several months.
    2. Run msimn/reg: Waiting to hear more about msimn/reg. I have run Win Up-Date recently. I will check out website you indicated.
    3. Dll File: The problem has only occured either reading various Newsgroup messages or logging off Outlook Express after reading Newsgroup messages. It's interesting that the file size of "win386.swp" dosen't seem to change when I download a bunch of Newsgroup files, when I delete a bunch of files, or perform "Clean-Up" under Tools.

6. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

You should run Adware, but update asap unless you have it set on auto.There have been many updates on Adware lately

7. msperry

msperry Private E-2

I sent you a reply earlier today but I don't think it went properly. I do have the latest WinMe Updates. I have had problems downloading the latest updates/patches for IE but don't see where this could be affecting Outlook Express.

8. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Hello there Ms Perry

I run WinMe also (we are getting to be a rare breed of cat). I am sad to report that the best place to pick up nasty cookies is newsgroups IMHO. I go to newsies often, and I ALWAYS run AdAware right after. There is always something that AdAware doesn't like after I visit. I go to the WinME, WinXP, and Win9x newsgroups and oddly I seem to pick up the most malicious cookies there. I think you would be well advised to run a scan when you visit. Just my 2 cents. :)

9. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

It's me again

Found this on Google:
    http://www.mcse.ms/message596461.html

Look on the left hand side and you will see that they have a scanning engine for shlwapi errors and they claim that they can help you repair. Never used this site myself, but thought it might be of interest. :D

10. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Gonna repeat one more time "quote"
    You should run Adware, but update asap unless you have it set on auto.There have been many updates on Adware lately
    ;) :cool:

11. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Answer to jujet84: At your recommendation I tried to run AdAware 6.0 again. It did again what it did a week ago, ran for a minute or two, got hung up on a specific item and needed to be "aborted" with no action taken. There were 5 items listed in red each time. Have not found a way to do a proper scan (has latest download).Considering to Uninstall and reload this application. Any ideas?

Answer to Boccemon: Went to web site and saw the very similar problem with person using Win 98 or 95. I don't know when this issue was posted, do not see anyone giving a reply/solution yet. I noticed, on that site, a download named "PC Doctor On Call". Downloaded it ok but can only assume it runs automaticly when Windows opens. Could not find a Read Me file for information.

12. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

13. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Answer to jujet84: I can get AdAware to "somewhat" run; It has identified 15 items (all low risk) however it never completes a scan. It seems to get hung-up during "Deep scanning local registery". I tried turning off "Deep Scan" but it continues to go into deep scan mode anyway. I've turned off virus software and closed all programs, still hangs. I have reloaded AdAware 6.0 two times!

14. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

15. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Answer to Kaula: When you replied with "this file", which file are you referencing, the SHLWAPI.DLL? I'm sure I will need help with the extraction.

16. msperry

msperry Private E-2

Thanks! I downloaded PcDoctor On Call the other day and it wouldn't run. I downloaded today and it ran properly, indicating 166 problems, severl were critical missing files! I paid for a 7 day "fix subscription" ($29.95), ran the fix program and now 0 errors indicated.
    Perhaps these replaced critical files were my problem, however, I still can't get AdAware to complete a scan in the "deep scan" mode, and I can't get it not to run a deep scan in the Local Regstry"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds