Error Message - Video Card Compatable with Direct 3D

Discussion in 'Software' started by hkhudson, Nov 30, 2013.

1. hkhudson

hkhudson Private E-2

Hello. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Forgive me if I've made an error.

I need help fixing a “The screen saver can’t run because it requires a newer video card or one compatible with Direct 3D” message that appears on my laptop, when I close the lid and reopen it later. Please note, the screen saver works perfectly in ALL other conditions (preview, coming on because idle, etc.)!! The problem ONLY occurs when I reopen the lid, after it’s been closed long enough for the screen saver to kick on. This problem happens with every one of the Windows 7 preloaded screensavers (Bubbles, Mystify, etc.).

I have a HP ProBook 4535s laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1. It if matters, I have my setting for “When I close the lid” set to “Do Nothing.”

Any help appreciated!!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. hkhudson

hkhudson Private E-2

Thank you. I need your next idea please. The hotfix said "The download is not applicable to your computer." and Driver Booster v1.1 said "Congratulations! All drivers are perfect!" on its first scan of my laptop.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I am stuck at those suggestions and hope someone else can jump in here.

5. hkhudson

hkhudson Private E-2

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Let's back up a bit. Download Speccy and post the results. Unless you are running the screensaver as say for showing pictures as a slideshow on a flat screen, that would be the only reason to run one.

Also what is this Screensaver program that you are running, that you are having issues with?

Majority of the times, it is not the hardware that is the issue, but it ends up just poorly written software.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Also instead of using the HP GPU drivers, go to AMD.com,and download the AMD driver set for your machine. But we really need to know what this Screensaver is, that you keep having issues with.

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It reads like 'something' is blocking the graphics card; Windows is waiting for a response from the 'real' graphics driver and it's not forthcoming - it switches down to a base graphics driver to continue, rather than crash, and that base graphics driver, by design, doesn't do DirectX.

As it's set to do 'nothing', how hot does the notebook get when closed?

Check in Device Manager > Properties for your network/Wireless cards and all USB devices that they aren't set to sleep then check in your current Power settings (Control Panel) that the hard drive isn't set to sleep when on mains.

It may be better to use hibernate on close.

If the notebook uses dual graphics, I suggest not updating them from Intel/nVidia/AMD, stay with the HP versions and troubleshoot the current problem first.

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Do you have the Quad Core or Dual core Radeon in that laptop? From the error message, it sounds to me that there is something wonky with the Screensaver program, and Windows is stopping it from running, to protect your machine from possible malware damage. The problem with the OEM versions, is that they are usually way behind the release that AMD has out for their GPU/APU's.

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The quickest workaround would be to disable the screensaver completely and set it to turn off the display at that point instead - it'll also reduce energy consumption ^^

12. hkhudson

hkhudson Private E-2

Thank you all for your help.

Mekanic – the first link you provided looks great, but I don’t have a clue which ones I need to download. I can tell you I use IObit Driver Booster, and it says all my drivers are up to date. I tried the second link you gave and keep getting an installer integrity check has failed error message (deleted and re-downloaded a few times with same results).

Brownizs – Speccy says:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD A4-3300M 41 °C
    Llano 32nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00GB DDR3 @ 672MHz (9-6-5-15)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 168B (Socket FS1)
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6480G (HP) 40 °C
    Storage
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD32 00BEKT-60PVMT0 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 36 °C
    Optical Drives
    hp CDDVDW TS-L633R SATA CdRom Device
    Audio
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

It is a dual core.

The screensaver program I am running is the one that came installed with Windows. It’s called Bubbles. Please note that ALL of the pre-installed screensavers have the same problem/result.

Please help me with which AMD driver set is the one for my machine, so I can download it, per your advice.

Satrow – Most times I don’t leave the lid closed for more than a couple minutes. It’s set to go into hibernation if left alone (with lid closed) for more than thirty minutes. The fan will run some, but the laptop stays cool to the touch. I use the laptop at an angle so it gets air. If I step away, leaving it open and right side up, it doesn’t get air and will get super-hot while I’m away. That’s why I close the lid and flip it over.

I have no problem with not using a screensaver, but I’d really like the root cause fixed if possible.

I appreciate everyone's help!

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Open up a Command window as Administrator and enter the following without the quotes, to turn off hibernate: "powercfg hibernate off".

Then just set screensaver to none, and in power options, set it to turn off display at 15 minutes, when lid is closed, do nothing, hard drives at 30 Min's, or even better install a SSD and set for hard drives off at none.

Also st action when pressing the power button on battery and power to shutdown. Standby if low battery, when on battery, none for when on power.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds