Error Message : Windows could not start...

Discussion in 'Software' started by AndyQB7, Dec 18, 2006.

1. AndyQB7

AndyQB7 Private E-2

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupted:
    C:\Windows\System32\Config\System

This is the error message I get when I try to start my laptop. I need A LOT of help.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Since yours just says that "system" is corrupt I would try this first just so it won't wipe all of your settings.

Type as shown below...
    (There are spaces where you see the YELLOW lines so be careful or this will not work)

If you get an error on any line after pressing enter, just continue and reboot.

md_tmp
    (Press Enter)

copy_c:\windows\system32\config\system_c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    (Press Enter)

delete_c:\windows\system32\config\system
    (Press Enter)

copy_c:\windows\repair\system_c:\windows\system32\config\system
    (Press Enter)

After the last line type EXIT and reboot. This should take care of your problem and let you go on into Windows.

3. AndyQB7

AndyQB7 Private E-2

Where do I type these things?

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

I apologize for not being more specific. Locate your WinXP disc, enter it into the CD-ROM Drive and boot from the disc. If you can't boot from the disc you may have to set the BIOS to use the CD-ROM drive as first boot.

Once you have booted from the disc, setup will load. At the FIRST screen press "R" to enter the recovery console. When this loads choose the OS Install you wish to run this one, default it should be "#1 C:WINDOWS". Press #1 and enter. Next enter the Admin password if you have one, if you do not just press enter.

Then, enter the information from my previous post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds