Error Messages on Startup - Cant get into any programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by night_incarnate, Jun 8, 2004.

1. night_incarnate

night_incarnate Private E-2

Alright guys this is a question for my girlfriend. She's having problems with her laptop.
    Basics - Dell Inspiron 2560 laptop, runs Windows XP. Two years old. Never had any real problems before.

Okay, I told her to download and run the AdAware program for her laptop, because it had been running slow for her. She did, the program found over 1000 items. She deleted all of them, restarted the computer. And now her computer keeps giving her error messages.
    -Windows Virtual Memory is too low
    -several executible programs saying basically - they failed to initiate - such as for her digital camera program, something that shouldnt even be running when she starts up her computer. And several other similar programs that shouldnt have been affected by the AdAware.
    -The application on DLL - Windows32/system32/systemappli.dll is not a valid windows image.
    -Could not open Main: failed to initiate.

And several more.
    She cant open any programs-get to her documents. Although the system DOES boot up to her desktop. She cant do anything but move the mouse once the error messages go away.
    She tried system restore to a saved point BEFORE she did the AdAware (which by the way was the only new thing she downloaded/did to her computer)
    But she's still having similar problems.
    She was able to at least get to her documents ONCE. But then it said the computer couldnt find a network connection - she restarted and now it's doing the same error messages as before.
    She called her mother in Louisiana to get her Windows installation CDs, because she figures she's gonna need them. But they havent gotten here yet.

Is there anything she can do to fix the computer?

2. night_incarnate

P.S.
    She had to do the system restore in Safe Mode, because she couldnt get to it any other way, and even in safe mode got a low virtual memory error. But nothing else.
    Just wanted to add that.

3. night_incarnate

Yes, that is a good possibility and it makes sense. Only problem is she doesnt have an Anti Virus program running. It wouldnt do any good putting one on there now, would there. Is there a possibility she's infected MY computer? (since they are both on the same network).

4. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Those 5 posts should be run as one of those little "stickies" that a new user "MUST READ" before being able to log on for the first time (I know we don't make people do that). We would put one of those little black blurs over everyone's names like they do on the faces of people on COPS (or whatever) to protect the innocent (?) and the guilty :eek:

CRUCIAL -- VITAL -- stuff!

You've come to the right place, night_incarnate, and you're man enough to admit your mistakes.

5. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

HEY - XFLAT? where is this guy?

Hey, night_incarnate? can you see us? can you hear us? Uh-oh! Come BAAACCCKK. We were only joking!

Seriously, hope something has helped so far and you're getting on the right track with this computer. I'm not a helper -- I'm a cheerleader -- so what else do you need the brainy people to do for you?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds