error on fdisk-ing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by man_im_bored, May 9, 2004.

1. man_im_bored

man_im_bored Private E-2

I'm in the middle of re-installing windows95 on a machine, i've swapped hardrives and stuff like that, and I need to fdisk it so i can activate the partition on the hdd. problem, when i go to activate the partition, all it does is tell me there is one fixed drive, then it just sits there and does nothing. the only thing i can do to get out of it is going ctrl+alt+delete. It even says "Press Esc to return to fdisk options" and I press esc and it still sits there. i've tried at least three disks and they all do the same. I created the disks using a program that i downloaded from http://www.bootdisk.com/

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

uh whats the reason of swapping hdds in the middle of a w95 install? wouldnt you want to do that BEFORE you actually start up with the boot disk? :confused:

3. man_im_bored

man_im_bored Private E-2

yeah sorry, i'll explain in greater detail

I'm trying to fix my friends computer which is a 486, so i decided that I'd give him my PII 233, with his hdd. so i took the hdd out of the 486, and chucked it in the PII 233.

and by the way, the fdisk thing, it'll do the same when you try to view or delete the partitions.

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

So the drive is recognized and the geometry is detected properly in BIOS?

It's possible that your downloaded copy of fdisk could be corrupt, you might try downloading it again.

I would also try running fdisk /mbr, that will rewrite the master boot record of the hard disk without destroying the partition(s).

5. man_im_bored

man_im_bored Private E-2

i found out it wasn't the fdisk, (cause i downloaded 2 other programs and they did the same thing), it was the hardrive, it is screwed. so, thanks anyway guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds