Error: Reboot and Select proper Boot Device...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nincombob, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Nincombob

Nincombob Private E-2

Need some advice on this myself

My problem is not so much the inability to boot as i'm using the computer now, i just want rid of the damn message

When i power up the first time i get the very "restart and select proper boot media....." message but if i hold the power button and power down and then re-power up, it boots fine

My mobo is a ASUS M4A78 PRO and my HDD is a 1TB Samsung SpinPoint SATA

Sometimes when i go into the BIOS menu my HDD doesn't show up so i'm wondering if i need to flash the mobo SATA drivers?????

My SATA cables are fine, i have a 800W PSU so there's definitely enough power lol

Just like someone to shed a bit of light on this as i don't want to be flashing things that don't need flashing

Cheers in advance

p.s. i'm not a complete noob at this, built the comp myself from scratch but haven't given this much thought until now

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try resetting your BIOS, do first make a note of the settings, then with PC off, open up the side and pop out the Motherboard battery for 10mins, then pop back and reboot and set date time, and the boot sequence again (maybe make if its seen your HDD 1st boot device, and 2nd CDROMm remove any others listed), plus any other custom settings.

3. Nincombob

Nincombob Private E-2

Thanks for the speedy reply :D

I'll try what you've suggested at some point this evening and let you know if i have any joy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds