Error upgrading Vista to SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 9, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a laptop here with x86 Vista Home Premium that had numerous issues (none were malware related) and I've fixed all the problems but one: I cannot install SP1 for Vista. I have tried installing it from a CD, from the standalone file downloaded to the desktop, and from Windows Update. In each scenario I get the following error message: "Windows Vista Service Pack 1 was not installed on your computer. Error code: 0x800F0826. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366 for details". Listed at that link are 4 resolutions and I've tried them all, but with #2, I downloaded and installed the 'System Readiness Tool' but I can't seem to find it to run it. Strange. It's not listed in 'All Programs' anywhere that I can see, and I looked in 'System Tools' and 'Accessories' and a bunch of other places and it seems to have disappeared. Googling the error code 0x800F0826 produces 3 results, one is useless garbage, one is German or Dutch (?), and one mentions that it's not a Java problem and some other things that I'm still looking into.... any thoughts?

All comments will be appreciated.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I forgot to mention that SP1 isn't even listed as an update when I use Windows Update or Automatic Updates. What's up with that?!!?!???!? :confused

One of the problems I fixed was Windows Updates. It wasn't working, but that was due to a bad Software Distribution folder... I renamed the old one, created a new empty folder, and that fixed Windows Updates.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi dlb

If you now have Windows Update running on the PC ok, then open it up and review the Update History and look for what updates have failed, if SP1 is mentioned look for the update prior to that one as its likely not installed correctly, so search its KB number and install manually.

IIRC, SP1 needed at least 3 prerequisite updates, so check if they are installed or if one/all of them failed previously, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for all the help folks! But, as it turns out, the owner of the laptop was in a huge rush and didn't seem to care about getting SP1 installed :confused and seemed happy with the fact that I got the Windows Updates working, and that I repaired his Office 2003 installation. So this is done (I guess) until he comes back.... and he will be back! LOL Sometimes, you can just tell, you know what I mean? LOL Some people just don't "click" with PCs and have a tendency to completely mess things up without even trying. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds