Error when clicking properties in network connections

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tourangh, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

I really dont know how to properly state this but I will try.
    Just so everyone knows I am runnning Vista and using a laptop. Connected to a modem directly throught ethernet port. I am an administrator on this comptuer as well.

Basically when I go to control panel-> Network and Internet-> manage Network connections.
    Here it will show my 2 connections. One is wireless the other is Local area connection. Wireless is obviously shut off...
    Basically I double click Local area connection and to show status, packets sent etc...
    Well my problem is that I can not click properties/repair/diagnose here. Everytime I do so I get an error saying There was an unexpected error.

This is where I am lost as to what I am doing wrong. I am having this problem where I loose connection randomly for short periods of time. THe thread I made on the issue is here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163179

Basically I have come to the conclusion that I am sending/recieving way to many packets and this is flooding my modem for a short period of time. I was going to uninstall and reinstall the network drivers turn of automatic update for my utitilies etc..

But basically I am wondering why I am not allowed to check properties or disable my local area connection. Kepp getting the same error =(

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Click Start > Run > then type cmd in the Open field and click OK.

That will open a black command prompt window. Click into the black window so you can type commands in.

Type regsvr32 netshell.dll, and click OK in the dialog that comes up

Type regsvr32 ole32.dll, and click OK in the dialog that comes up

Restart the computer and see if you still get the error.

Steve

3. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Didn't work =(
    By the way, what does that do?

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

It should stop the "unexpected error". Are you still getting it?

Steve

5. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Yes, I still receive the error. I am not quite sure what is wrong as I am the administrator on the computer as well.
    Thanks.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Sorry.

This might make a difference, try using the method in the link below. I would just copy and paste the commands to make sure they are correct. :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824923

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds