Error Window appears !

Discussion in 'Software' started by Evanhoe, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Evanhoe

Evanhoe Private First Class

Hi All,
    I've been away for a while,and this morning when I clicked to Log On to the Forum I got the following error message (Screenshot)

I don't know where that came from!In any case,I can't make the correction,I can't see what missing Component needs to be re inserted!Any suggestions on how to fix this?Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. w0ts0n

w0ts0n Private E-2

I wouldn't install that.. It looks like spyware of some sort.
    I recommend switching to Mozilla's Firefox www.getfirefox.com

3. Evanhoe

Hi Steve,
    Quote:Have you followed the suggestion in the top window to run 'Windows Update'
    Yes,but the problem persists!

Quote:NB: You can see the lower window when those error messages appear by clicking on the one in focus and dragging it to the right.[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure How!,since when looking at the error Window,there is'nt one that's in focus to drag it to the right?I'm checking out,your other suggestions.Thanks for the help.

4. Evanhoe

Hi wOtsOn,

You would'nt install what? I'm not clear on this.
    For 7 years i've been ok with Win IE,i'm just not prepared to change,just yet.Of course were referring to our Win 98 computer(my wife's)Thanks anyway.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The window in focus is the one with the blue rather than the gray title bar. Put the mouse on the blue part of the window and drag it to the right so you can see what is underneath.
    Since 98 hasn't been patched since July 11, 2006 and IE isn't the best browser to use, you are upping your chances to get something nasty on your computer.
    If you want to stick with 98, at least learn to use a safer browser; either Firefox or Opera. (Spoken by a person who ran 98SE well past it's support period).

Also go here
    Code:
    http://www.mdgx.com/0.php
    and scroll down to the Windows 98 patches section. I put this patches on 98SE and ME after July 2006 to try and keep the OS as safe as possible.

6. Evanhoe

Thanks for the additional info Steve_East9,we'll have a look at Firefox as an additional browser,to see if we're missing something !

7. Evanhoe

Hi plodr,
    That worked perfectly.I'm now able to see what's underneath,but that does'nt help,since we don't know what Component to download! "See Screenshot"

In any case it said "Loading pls wait",and not knowing what if anything would be Loaded,the MS Insignia at the top rgt end of the Monitor was moving,so I assumed it was downloading something!I gave it 30 minutes to do so (We're on Dialup) and nothing happened?
    BTW,since we've had to reinstall Win 98se OS recently,I know it's supposed to be Patched up,since I use AutoPatcher for Win 98 and updates from mdgx
    Can you provide more info to finally fix this?Thank you very much for your help.

Attached Files:

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'd have to agree with Steve to treat this as something trying to install itself that might not be from MS.
    The picture showed me "install on demand". I'd change that setting in IE. I do not let a browser install anything. Get it to prompt you. If you know the site and trust it then you can say, ok install. If you aren't sure, then say "no" and don't let the site download anything.

9. Evanhoe

Hi Steve,
    I guess we'll have to bite the bullet and do all that's suggested,since there does'nt appear to be a simple 1 or 2 click Fix for this annoyance!Thanks.

10. Evanhoe

Hi plodr,
    Thanks for the above.I'll check the Win 98 computer,and see if that's the case,and adjust as needed.

11. Evanhoe

Hi Again,
    I'm back quicker than I thought I would be,regarding my problem.As per plodr latest suggestion I unticked both "Enable install on demand (Internet Explorer) plus "Enable install on demand (Other) in Internet Options,Advanced.I reconnected again with Yahoo.com,and the problem seems to have been fixed!WOW what a simple solution.Thanks again.

BTW; I did'nt feel we were infected with anything,since we run both Avast,AdAware regularly.I know it's not 100% foolproof,but it sure helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds