Errors in Vista Event Viewer

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jul 10, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

32bit Vista Home Premium, the PCs owner has not installed SP1. The event viewer is LOADED with errors... actually, it's just one error. I attached a screenshot below. This one error is listed hundreds of times in the event viewer and I'm fairly certain it's related to the Verizon mobile broadband device (model USB720). While surfing with this device, Internet Explorer will frequently pop up errors stating that "Internet Explorer needs to be restarted". This has happened to me 3 times in the past 10 minutes while trying to write this very post. I'm now using Firefox to see if it makes a difference. I can simply format and reload Vista (data backup is a non-issue here) but that's like giving up. But if this turns out to be a nightmare to fix, the format/reload is probably the best route. So, any ideas or thoughts about this error?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

the fix for this tricky how comfortable are you looking in your registry and your component services? what you need to do is find out in the registry what application matches the clsid then go to component and modify it to allow the user the rights to use it. it can be done as i have done it few times. just be careful and take your time

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

As it turns out, the Verizon device is NOT responsible to the errors nor does it have anything to do with causing Internet Explorer to error out. I removed the Verizon device and plugged in an ethernet cable and IE acts the same way, and still errors out.
    :cool No problems or intrepidation with the ol' registry editing. ;)
    Can you elaborate on this and explain it a bit more clearly? Apparently, it's IE that is problematic, and Vista doesn't really allow for repairs as easily as XP does. But the PC is running IE7, maybe installing IE8 will repair whatever the problem is? I know it isn't likely to be an OS problem because other browsers (Firefox and Opera) work fine.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

every application is given a clsid in the registry. what has happened here is the the application for some reason has given you as the user rights to run it. happens sometimes, why i don't know. what you need to do is look up the id in registry then alter the rights to application in component services.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds