Errors with "Add/Remove Windows Components"

Discussion in 'Software' started by TomCat5, Nov 30, 2008.

1. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

1) When I click on "Add/Remove Windows Components" in the "Add or Remove Programs" menu I get this warning in a "Windows XP Setup" window/box ...

Setup was unable to open information file fxscom.inf.
    Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 0.

I then click OK and behind it is another "Windows XP Setup" box/window with a "red X" that says ...

The application could not be initialized.

I tried "sfc /scannow" to repair missing or broken files but that was a frustrating experience. The Windows File Protection window would pop up and ask for my Windows XP Home Edition CD-Rom. When I put it in and hit Retry it repeatededly shows the same window, so sometimes I'd Cancel out and say YES to skip a file to try and make some progress. I don't think it ever really worked properly as I repeated this step literally almost a 100x's with no positive results. I also tried copying the i386 file to C:\ then editing the registry sourcepath so it could bypass the disc but I must have messed that up to :(

I also tried start-->run--> type "regsvr32 c:\winnt\system32\appwiz.cpl" w/quotes and got error "Windows cannot find regsvr.32" Did search even in i386 and could not find regsvr.32 .

My OS is a sliptreamed version of Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) (1 disc) --> updated online to SP3. I have the original XP Home disc and a seperate disc for SP2, but I don't have the disc for SP3.

Some programs will remove themselves normally. Recently I removed "Viewpoint Media Player" successfully while getting re-acquainted with maintenance programs here @ MG. There were still some Viewpoint files hangin around but I got them all with "ViewpointKiller"!

I don't know if this is any help, but every time I run CCleaner/Registry Scan for Issues, all these keys (19*) pop up without fail even after clean/fix every time I open "Add or Remove Programs" without doing anything else. I'll try and attach a .bmp of CCleaner but I'm kinda new to all this ... can you say NOOB! Sorry I couldn't keep it Shorter.

Now I think the following problem is related and may be useful info, but if I need to address it in another thread so be it.

2) I can't Remove "Call of Duty 2" it goes through all the motions but upon clicking "Finish" the program is still there. I've tried to remove it both from "Add or Remove Programs" and the "Start" menu. No Errors, it just doesn't remove itself. I also tried CCleaner but no success. However my updated CCleaner (v2.14.750) was able to finally remove "Quake 4(TM) and Quake II(TM)" "titles" only from the "Add or Remove Programs" window after manually deleting the bulk of the programs loooong ago! I tried everything on Quake, "AddRemovePro" "AddRemoveCleaner" etc. and finally something worked.
    I will hold off doing Revo Uninstaller of CoD2 until the above is resolved or someone recommends otherwise.

* the attached CCleaner pic was before I got rid of Quake 4/II titles , so you'll see 21, which was the case for months.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated! :)

PS I'm burned out on searching, if someone has seen this problem before please link me.

Attached Files:

2. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

Hello ... Advice & Test Post

Hi all,

I've been comming to this site for over 6 years now! MG has taught me more about computer OS's and software than all the others combined. I finally registered because I ran up against a problem I couldn't resolve through "Search's" and trial n error ... and I do want to avoid reformatting :(

Here's a link to my post ... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=175479 ... It was posted over 3 days ago and has fallen to the 6th page in the "Software" forum. I've read all the rules and didn't want to bump it, and I really botched the attached .jpg (.bmp) ... should i remain patient, or if someone really doesn't have a suggestion/solution wouldn't they have said so by now? I'm kinda stuck in limbo.

Anyway I'm trying another attachment here, of the one I posted in the link above, as a test. I'm new at the uploading image thing and it took me awhile to figure out I needed to use IrFanView and convert to .jpg to make the size requirements .... and I still don't know if that's the most efficient or correct procedure. The how to's were a bit assuming for me.

Thanks for any kind advice.

PS I'm slow at typing along with many other things .... :-o
    and I'm not sure if my simple txt sig is showing

Attached Files:

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Merged your 2 posts to here as I felt the attachment more helpful to be with the thread requesting assistance :)

4. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

Boy you might think I have close ties to "OJ" :O ... or my 00010011100's (code) has an extreme case of bromhidrosis.
    But with over a 100 "views" in the past few days I feel I'm not alone in this problem ...
    So here's an update.

The errors 1st described still remain. I think I had better luck with "sfc /scannow" as I only canceled out of the "Windows File Protection" box once, it then seemed to update the DLL Cache (blue progress line) and then the box closed. I don't know if it successfully completed it's job or not? If the .inf files were checked/repaired all should be well right?

All other problems of Uninstalling through "Add or Remove Programs" were all handled with the combination of Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner. Revo is a very comprehensive and versatile program ...
    A BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THAT PROGRAM AVAILABLE @ MG! :)
    More details if anyone's interested, as even Revo didn't get all of COD2.
    It made quick work of "FEAR" though, when nothing else would.

I guess I might have to live with "Add/Remove Windows Components" not functioning at all, and the 19 issues continually showing up in CCleaner's registry scan. I rarely used it anyway, I only went there recently to make sure "File Indexing"? was shut down. But it would be nice for all who do a "SEARCH" in the future, if there was some kind of resolution ....
    besides reformatting ....... ????

I guess I might try booting to the XP Home "Repair" utility? I've never had to resort to this, and am not familiar with exactly what it does beyond sfc /scannow. My concern is I have a fairly compact Windows install (3.26GB Windows folder) on a fairly small (too small?) 8GB partition, and I don't want all the UNnecessary files Reinstalled, like MSN, Instant Messenger, sys restore etc. Is this a good/bad idea?

There are many here who are a lot more experienced/learned' than I ...
    Last chance to throw me a "Cookie" ...
    or I guess we will let this thread die in peace ...
    At least some issue's were resolved ... :) but error 0x2 .... lives on :(

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

THANKS plodr ... I was beginng to feel like "OJ" at his sentencing trial :cry ... Hopeless ... lonely .... and quote "confused" !

Handy little tool! ... but I must admit when I 1st got the e-mail notification I thought, "Dial-a-Fix" ??? ... Great, now insult on top of injury ... rolleyes

So 1st I ran the MSI (#2) fix (looked to be the most relavent) no luck.
    Then went into the Tools and redid the sfc purge and scan, bummer, same results as with the CMD prompt ... :(

So for kicks (desperation) I ran "Process Idle Tasks" and "Repair Permissions". I think the last one turned on a whole bunch of "Services" I had disabled, like Messenger ... no biggie ... but still no 0x2 fix ... :confused

But I do sincerely thank you for trying and making me not feel like a red-headed step child or one of "OJ"'s relatives ....

7. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Hello stepcat *smiles* Sorry, looked at your post the other day but short on time. Sometimes we just don't know what the problem is; conflict, corruption, bad install, malware, user error... the list goes on.

"Setup was unable to open information file fxscom.inf"

Filename: fxscom.dll
    Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\

There is no fxscom.inf file on my PC (XP-SP3), was that a typo, is it the file below?

Filename: fxsocm.inf
    Directory: C:\I386 and C:\Windows\INF

Consider yourself not ignored ;), might be method of "compact install" that's the problem or you accidentally edited some files in an attempt to remove components. Could try coping the file to the INF directory if it's the below file and either missing or corrupt. I don't think that will resolve the issue though.

8. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

Quoting you Tomcat on this line
    "I also tried start-->run--> type "regsvr32 c:\winnt\system32\appwiz.cpl" w/quotes and got error "Windows cannot find regsvr.32" Did search even in i386 and could not find regsvr.32 ."
    Did you run it with the quotes or without them... I know I'm still new but there are reports with that file you have listed being problematic with the install with the Last Service pack of Windows.... If you want I will get you a web page of one of them so u know

9. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  10. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

Boy I SINCERELY apologize to all BUT the originall error was with file -->

fxsocm.inf ..... not fxscom.inf ....... Yikes! .... I went back through all my procedures and it doesn't seem to matter if I transposed the letters or not!

AND yes to confirm the advanced search does show fxsocm.dll ; fxscom.dll and fxsocm.inf in the ...
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 ...
    but not fxscom.inf anywhere, but I don't think it's relavent anyway as it was not in the original "error" messeges.

BIG APOLOGIES AGAIN for any confusion ... now I feel like a CAT on a "Hot Tin RooF" ...

11. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

*smiles* a cat on a hot tin roof beats a confused one.

Did add/remove components work after your last install, if so do you have a restore point prior to this issue?

Think you have your directory files messed up but may not worth trying to fix if you deleted other files too, because we will just keep changing the error message till we tire out. In looking at your problem, read some info from Microsoft that certain components are not uninstallable normally, fax is one of them, hence the problem. Components use files that rely on other files... cascading effect, delete one and poof there goes the neighborhood.

Operating Systems are not my thing and I don't want to break anything more than it's already broke. I don't recall sfc /scannow removing files that are in a wrong directory. Maybe better to reinstall or wait for someone more advanced than me to look and give an opinion.

Not sure if this will help but maybe worth a try (look @ sfc /purgecache) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891985 But wait for a Major Geek to guide you with this, *grins* I'm just the cat.

p.s. if someone does not take over this thread it's because we don't know the answer. Really hard to troubleshoot when there're many unknown factors, like what was deleted. We're not ignoring, just don't have a answer. Me posting something like "don't know" is considered bad manners/spamming. Takes awhile to get use to forum etiquette. Can be frustrating for a new member though when no reply, happened to me when I joined too (the reason I usually only post in 0 reply threads).

12. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

Thanks "CAT" for your help and forthrightness! I think you're right on with your assessment. I think I deleted a "Fax" type file somewhere when I wasn't paying attention ... BOTTOM LINE .... good lesson for all ... be careful especially when you know just enough to mess things up.
    FORTUNATELY this is not a serious problem as it seems to only effect "Add/Remove Windows Components" which most are worthless or inferior to 3rd party programs from MajorGeeks! Thankgoodness for MG!

But to answere the ?'s Yes everything worked fine for years ... no there isn't a relative restore point :( ... and thanks to your tip "Dial-a fix", I sequintially did sfc /purgecache and then scan. But I'll repeat, I'm not so sure sfc /**** is completeing it's job properly.

I think for a MajorGeek it may be a fairly simple fix, without reformating. Or running the XP repair utility, which I'm still leary of due to the space constraints (small partition) and all the bloated files being put back into my slipstreamed OS.

Again thankyou for your time and PATIENCE! ....... :)

13. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

Tomcat am I understanding one thing you have slipstream your os with sp1 and sp2 together on a disc?:confused? The other question I have for you is why did u remove the system restore tool? I understand the limited partion idea and conserving all space as needed..

14. TomCat5

TomCat5 Private E-2

That is correct. This machine was originally set up almost 3 years ago primarily for Lan (offline gaming). In the last year it has been inducted into a much broader service .... to be honest I've never needed sytem restore or ever found any use for it ... until maybe now ... as most problems can be figured out independently and/or with the help of sites like MG! :)

Unfortunately that may not be true in this case, but it's no biggie either way.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds