ERUNT autobackup problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by BrightEyes13, Feb 21, 2011.

1. BrightEyes13

BrightEyes13 Private E-2

Hi, this is my first post and I hope it's in the right place, if not apologies!

I've had a search on the forums but I can't find anything similar, yesterday I cleaned my registry with cCleaner taking the advice of http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=25513&st=20 (the post of the 24-November 09 post by GoneToPlaid), and took all the precautions advised on here by backing up, making a system restore and using ERUNT.

Everything went fine, when I switched my computer on today I received the errors below (take a deep breath)... But Windows itself is working fine, I think it's to do with the autobackup, the only thing I can think of is I changed the folder in ERUNT to save to my external hard drive instead of the laptop (as severely lacking on space). So after I got the errors switching on this morning, I went back into ERUNT to see if it was possible to change the folder, the box stated as normal "Please specify a folder where the registry backup should be saved" and still says the ERUNT default of C:\windows\ERDNT\2-21-2011. I clicked ok (to save to the default instead of the ext HD) and got the message:
    "unable to create file:C:\windows\ERDNT\2-21-2011\ERDNT.INF Registry backup will continue, but no restore information for the ERDNT program will be saved. This means that later restoration of the registry can only be done manually, but using another OS to copy back the files. (OK)" and it went into the same cycle as the errors below, when I first switched on my computer...

Error 1:
    Unable to create file: C:\windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\2-21-2011\ERDNT.INF
    Registry backup will continue, but no restore information for the ERDNT program will be saved. This means that later restoration of the registry can only be done manually, but using another OS to copy back the files. (OK)

Following onto error 2:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\2-21-2011\SYSTEM ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

following onto error 3:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\2-21-2011\BCD ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

following onto error 4:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\2-21-2011\SOFTWARE ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

following onto error 5:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\2-21-2011\DEFAULT ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

following onto error 6:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\2-21-2011\SECURITY ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

following onto error 7:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\2-21-2011\SAM ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

following onto error 8:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\2-21-2011\Users\00000001\NTUSER.DAT ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

following onto error 9:
    Warning! Error saving file C:\windows\ERDNT\2-21-2011\Users\00000002\UsrClass.dat ! Continue with the next file? [RegCreateKeyEx: 5 - Access is denied ] (YES)

The next box states "ERU for Windows NT. Registry backup is complete!"

Could I be right in thinking it's just making me aware that I'm not saving directly to computer - or thinking wrong and I've gone wrong somewhere, in which case any recommendations what I should have done and how to fix it?

I'm running windows 7 on a laptop, however the ERUNT site says this is still ok and I followed the recommendations for installing onto windows 7 (http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/faq.htm)

(many) Thanks for your time and patience with me

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Hi Scriboodle, welcome to MajorGeeks.

Have you tried running ERUNT manually? You should be able to save your restore(s) to the external hdd. Since I don't use Windows 7 I may be way off target here but this sounds more like a Windows permissions problem.

3. BrightEyes13

BrightEyes13 Private E-2

Thanks plastidust, it does the same thing when I do it manually as when it does for autobackup. I'll try adjusting my settings back to see if my computer does the same thing tomorrow with the 'never notify of changes to windows' option in the Use Acct Control settings (I changed this for the install, but changed it back afterwards assuming this would be ok.. never assume anything!).

Should I be comfortable with this if it does work, as I very rarely would do a registry clean (I've had some installs and uninstalls lately), so should I remove Erunt and carry on with the normal cCleaner so I can have the recommended notification settings for windows 7? As I can't see me needing to clean the registry again anytime soon,
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds