Ethernet adapter problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CalebPowell, Mar 22, 2012.

1. CalebPowell

CalebPowell Private E-2

First time posting so I apologize if anything is missing and whatnot.

Down to the problem, I'm having some difficulties with an Ethernet port on my laptop that won't hold a connection to my router for more than 2 seconds. I have pinged loopback (127.0.0.1) and my laptop's own static IP (192.168.0.9) both of which were fine, however once I tried pinging my laptop from another computer it would time out. Changing the speed and duplex caused it to stay connected however it would bring back "Unidentified Network". I have tried a fair bit of troubleshooting of my own, googling a lot and to no avail.

My adapter is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller with IPv6 disabled (intentionally) and the Router I'm attempting to connect to is a Sky Branded router. The ethernet cable I'm using has no problems connecting to my xbox360, however we use Wireless for that, and it has no problem connecting to the other PC, it just will not hold a connection between my laptop and the router.

Statistics of my adapter's driver are as follows:

Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 13/10/2008
    Driver Version: 4.60.0.1
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Windows update insists I have the best driver installed.

If anyone has a solution to my problem, please help me out.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If software fixes fail, it's possible your Ethernet port could be going bad.

A cheap fix is a 10/100 USB adapter (about $15). I've set up about six of this brand/model over the past year without any problem.

http://www.directron.com/tu2et100.html

Hope this helps. :)

3. CalebPowell

CalebPowell Private E-2

I'm not overly sure what you mean by "software fix"

Changing the adapter setting from Speed & Duplex from AUTO to say 100MP Full or 100MP Half results in constant connectivity but to an Unidentified Network, however if I change it back to AUTO it detects the network it's connecting to, however it fluctuates between Connected and Disconnected (i.e. the original problem)

This issue is only recent however as in the past I used to have my Laptop hooked up to an Ethernet HUB with none of the settings changed from default, this would provide me with a constant connectivity to my old network, however I have since moved out from that house and thus the connection is no longer viable.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds