Ethernet Connection & Dell 4550

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ethercon, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Ethercon

Ethercon Private E-2

Good Evening,

I do not know anything about ethernet cables or the ethernet system.So I have a few questions before I get to the root of my problem.

I have a Dell 4550.

First, Do I have to buy an ethernet adapter (which I just read that my computer does not have, while trying to install my modem to the computer w/ ethernet connection (for internet access)? Or is the ethernet adapter built into the computer, meaning that I won't have to purchase it to use the internet?

Something that I noticed that might be stopping me from having this ethernet adapter (if it is built into the computer) is that on my Device Manager, "Ethernet Controller" has a yellow exclamation point and question on it. What do I do? Is this why I have no ethernet adaptor?

Thank You.

I really need this. :cry

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

3. Ethercon

Ethercon Private E-2

Thanks for your help Q, but it's still not working, my computer cant find any hardware, which I guess are Drivers.

I do have the port/ hole thingy (i guess it's a hub...you get the drift) for the ethernet cord, is that the ethernet adapter? From what I get from the previous post it is, but I just want to confirm.

Question: So the because the Wizard system isnt finding any Drivers, what should I do? I went and found my dell dish of Drivers, but I dont know which one works with the Ethernet stuff. Is there any other way for me to get the drivers?

Thank You.

Also I have a Windows XP (Home Edition)

4. ~Q~

Sorry ethercon, i should have pointed out You need to have the modem plugged in to the computer with the ethernet cable when you search for a driver for it. infact when you plug it in it might just automaticly find one.

Q

5. Ethercon

Ethercon Private E-2

I connected the ethernet cable to both the modem and the computer. Nothing seems to be working. I even tried connecting my router (which is connected to the modem) with the ethernet cord to the computer.

At this point I do not know how I will be able to get the drivers for it.

Maybe more information about what I am doing may help me:

I trying to set-up my Desktop computer to the internet (wired connection--w/ the ethernet cable).

Currently, I am using a router (BELKIN) and I am able to use that with my laptop to gain access to the internet wirelessly.

I want to be able to get online wirelessly with the laptop, and wired w/ the desktop computer. In order to set up the internet access to the desktop I think I need the ethernet. Prior to having the laptop I used a USB cord (connected to the modem) to gain internet access w/ the desktop computer.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. Or maybe the backgroup story had no connection to why I am not able to get Drivers for the ethernet controller.

Please offer more suggestions.

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Either reconnect the desktop with the USB cable to get connected or use your laptop for the following -
    Go to Dell support, enter the service tag number of the desktop and go to the Original Configuration tab for your machine. You should find the correct model of your ethernet controller/network adapter and download the drivers. If you use the laptop, you will have to transfer the drivers to the desktop and then install by double clicking. There may be several versions and if so, use the one with the most recent date.

7. ~Q~

If Ibmests post hast sorted this for you, post the make and model name/number of your router and modem.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is the driver for a Dimension 4550, ethernet
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=66981

download it to your laptop; it is 5MB. Put it on a USB stick and take it to your desktop. Put the file on the desktop.
    Open Control Panel and select add new hardware. Let it look. If it doesn't find it, you select ethernet and then point the wizard to the file on your desktop when it asks for the driver.

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

As this is a Dell driver download, it's a self-extracting .exe file that will auto-install after running it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds