Ethernet Controlller Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DesKai, Aug 24, 2006.

1. DesKai

DesKai Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 pc, operating system is Windows XP Home and I just upgraded from dial up to dsl. When I tried to hook up my dsl to my computer I found that I had no ethernet, it then tried to go through a USB port and still wouldn't connect. I went into my control panel to see if I was missing drivers and I have a yellow question mark next to Ethernet Controlller. My USB ports say they are all fine and connect yet neither works for dsl. When I click on the yellow question mark next to Ethernet Controlller it tells me that my pc has no such driver. Now in order for me to be online through dsl I had to get wireless and connect through my sister's ethernet. But now I am moving so I really need my pc to have the ethernet driver or I'll be stuck with dial up again. I'm thinking about going from dsl to cable but yet instill I need that ethernet since the USB ports say they work but won't connect at all.

If it helps to solve the problem, under my network connections I only have one and thats showing up for the wireless connection. And I have screen captures of what I see too, please can someone help me, I really need ethernet on my pc..dial up is just a mess compared to high speed.

I read where a person on here had a problem almost like mine but I have a different computer then they had.

Thank you

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi DesKai and welcome to MG,
    Have you tried going back into device manager and uninstalling your ethernet controller and rebooting to see if driver is loaded? (Right click on controller and uninstall)
    You could also go to Dell support and use your service tag number to download the driver from your original configuration page.
    See if that does the trick for the controller.
    Then you can try to connect.
    Hope that helps.:)

3. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

If you got any discs with the machine you might look and see if any of them mention drivers and if so put it in the drive when following the procedure LBMEST mentioned. Then if windows doesn't have a driver it will look on the cd.

4. ejsilver26

ejsilver26 Private E-2

LBMEST has it right. Go to the Dell site, use your ID code to find the right driver for your ethernet card. The USB should work if the USB is installed right. And a USB DSL modem would require USB drivers for the modem.

What does your ISP say? Does it require a CD (older DSLs did) or anything to log onto the network?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds