Ethernet Splitter Recomedation ( Needs No External Power)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Due to my home having multiple walls, and wifi being quite unreliable i am wiring ethernet cable across most of my rooms where a computer will be used.

I bought a singular ethernet port ( female to female) because i bought short cables ( my fault) and ran out of able so my only option ( since i had already stapled everything to the wall) was to use another (short) cable so reach where i wanted it to.

However now i want to run another Ethernet cable across another room so i bought a generic ethernet ( dual) female splitter
    exactly as the ones from the link below
    https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Soc...=1479247823&sr=1-7&keywords=ethernet+splitter

Well my issue is these things are junk! i got 3 of them and all of them don't work, now i don't know if it has anything to do with how long the cables are but i can't get any connection though them ( i am using x2 50 ft ethernet cables).

Anyone know a reliable splitter similar to the picture above that would work for 100 ft distance ethernet cables? I do not want an ethernet switch , i already have that. If i were to connect an ethernet cable through the switch it would create more cable in the walls ( which i want to avoid) so i merely wanted to get a splitter to feed it under a doorways and staple it by the lower wall frame to another room .

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is the back of the splitter female as well or male?

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

its exactly like the one i linked both ends are female

5. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

well under my own ( bad) assumption i am using this right now ( and i get connection) :
    https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-RJ...=1479269442&sr=8-4&keywords=ethernet+extender

i figured if i bought something like that but with 2 connectors i would get Ethernet connection on the other computer turns out i get nothing at all.

i don't think i have spare parts to build my own maybe if i take apart an old router that i could fine though for just saving $8 it hardly seems worthwhile to even waste time doing it ( other than experience).

As far as the link goes ( mcmelectronics) i think any like those cables will do? Or is there anything special about the one you linked because that website charges $8 shipping

While this one only charges $2.00 for shipping
    https://www.firefold.com/rj45-adapter-type8-pigtail-splitter?gclid=CO-WhPG0rNACFY9cfgodgV8IUw

a certain section of my wall is starting to look ugly because of where all the cables are meeting.. and i am too lazy to un staple everything and just buy longer cables. It also doesn't help that i butchered part of the coating of the cable when i stapled it because i compressed the cable against the wall when i was stapling causing the cable to expand ( and the nails sometimes getting the cable)

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you did that, you more than likely cut one (or more) of the internal wires so, that length of cable may be shot.

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I just linked MCM because I know them.. the ones you found look right too. If you're wondering if the cable is damaged, you can get a cable tester cheap. The end product would be like this
    splitter.png

Nexus_ likes this.
  8. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Replace them. You should be using insulated wire staples, like these, to lessen the risk of crushing and breaking the wires within:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If you still don't wish to run a line from your router box to each PC at this point, I concur.

10. Digerati

You say you already have an Ethernet switch, not sure why you think that is a problem. You run just one cable from your router to the switch, then from the switch, you go out to connected computers. It would not mean more wires in the wall if you locate the switch near the distant end.

Nexus_ likes this.
  11. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The problem was i didn't think it through good when i was wiring, i under estimated the length of cable i needed .

So while i have an ethernet switch (in another room )which i could run another ethernet cable but i would need to buy a 40-50 ft one. It needs to be feed across my door frame and under+over the other rooms ( i wanted to avoid this because i didn't want to staple anymore cable into the wall)

Instead of having something like a 100-125 ft cable i bought x2 50 ft cables ( like i noted i did not make good calculations..) so the place where the cables meet is not near an outlet . Since the place where the 2 cables meet to join are not near an outlet i would need to get an outlet extension cord which is inconvenient and then the Ethernet switch would be mounted against the wall which would look ugly .

I mean if i wanted to simply things i could just put an ethernet cable across the room to the next one from the ethernet switch but then people who pass by would be tripping all the time so i am forced to feed the cable around the door frames.

My suggestion that i did probably over complicated my situation but involved hardly anymore stapling since i could feed the cable right under the wall where the next door from another room is.

The cable that i punctured works fine, it doesn't seem i actually hit any of the wire underneath it because i have been using it for about a year now without any issues

12. Digerati

Well, I think a splitter is not a good option because of too much resistance/signal loss through the entire connection.

Frankly, I think you just need to bite the bullet and run new cable. I realize that is a pain, but in the "long run" (in terms of time and cable length), new cables with no breaks is the best solution.

13. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Have you considered multiple wireless access points? By the time you run all this wire, you could add a few APs to different rooms.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use PoE adapters. I refuse to drill holes in our pegged oak flooring or real plaster walls to run ethernet.
    One in a plug near the router connected to one port of the router.
    The others wherever needed in a wall plug with ethernet (and a switch if more than 1 computer used at that location).

The only thing you need to be aware of is that the plugs must be on the same side of the circuit as the unit connected to the router.

Attached Files:

Nexus_ likes this.
  15. Digerati

One problem with PoE adapters is they don't always work well in older facilities where wiring is not up to code. Might still be worth a try though.

16. plodr

Our home was built in 1955. I think you might consider that an "older facility".

17. Digerati

Well, mine was built in 1960 and I consider that an older facility - especially after working on some of the wiring and plumbing. I even have some aluminum wiring as there was a surge in copper prices back then. :(

18. plodr

No problem with electrical wiring and our water pipes are all copper. We are the 2nd owners. We bought from the couple who had the house built to specs.

19. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

i ended up re wiring my house again and using an Ethernet switch

it was a pain to do it over but now since i calculated proper lengths i will have no issue now. I also wired and stapled things to accommodate another 4 devices ( for any future use ) via Ethernet. I think it was better to leave space and wire everything accordingly for potential systems i would set up , i definitely don't want to rewire my walls again

20. Digerati

The right way is often not the easy way, but typically result in better, longer lasting service. You shouldn't have to do it again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds