Evaluation copy after upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by R.runner, Jul 25, 2013.

1. R.runner

R.runner Private E-2

The issue is with my Dell 3560 laptop that came with Windows 8. I upgraded to 8.1 and now I see the text on bottom right on the desktop which says "Single language preview. Evaluation copy". Since I have the OS license I wonder why this is coming. Any ideas?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As plodr mentions, its still a test copy and beta or now more commonly known as Consumer Preview.

As you have installed this now, it will have overridden or upgraded your current licence to take into account your are running the preview, when you finally upgrade to the Final 8.1 that message will disappear (weirdly looking at my test PC the licence key I used originally is different to the one I have saved for that PC)

A possible downside to running beta's or previews on a main used PC and not a test PC is that once the test beta/preview is at an end or the Release Candidate (RTM etc) is available its not always the case you can upgrade from a beta/preview to the final release.

You I know from the FAQ's on the preview is that once installed you cannot uninstall it, a clean install, refresh or image backup is needed to go back to plain Windows 8.

Reading between the lines it looks as if an upgrade to 8.1 final will likely happen, but this is not always the case (Windows Vista beta I had didn't upgrade to RTM) and a clean install maybe needed again of your original Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 final.

Some interesting info in this article HERE and while it looks as if you can go from preview to final, you will likely have to re-install your apps as only the OS will be updated and your data moved.

I like the 8.1 update, love some of the new inbuilt apps, like the Alarms, Food, Health and Skydrive is near on perfect now. A few small niggles with some apps (scan app doesn't find my AIO) and is a bit slower in boot and usage but that's normal in many beta, but as a whole ok.

4. R.runner

R.runner Private E-2

Oh! Different key after upgrade? That's bizarre. Anyways, I have like the update. The themes look great. I am able to split the RT mail app now. Don't know if that was present before. Overall, I am satisfied but I cant seem to find a way to change the skydrive account

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The main skydrive account is liked to the email address you use to log on with your PC, if you use that method to logon and share your data.

In Windows 8 I have the desktop version of Skydrive as well as the build in one the desktop has a different account for that one, it does not load files to the Windows 8 app version, this one is separate and can be opened in Windows Explorer like a folder location. I use this on my Windows 8 desktop to have a personal and a work skydrive locations.

Sadly in Windows 8.1 this option is not working, seems the desktop app has been crippled and will not install properly, seems the folk at Microsoft think everyone has only one skydrive account! that's a big negative for me at present unless I can find a workaround, maybe there is a 3rd party app in the store that can now do this, but a lot of them link to the logon account.

Fiddly but you could setup a new user account with that other skydrive account email address and password, but that would mean switching between users.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds