Even ID 7000....

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have the following error in my Event Viewer: Event ID 7000 and it mentions the NMSAccessU service couldn't be started because the specified file couldn't be found (see attached screenshot). I did a bit of searching and found that NMSAccessU is related to CD/DVD burning, primarily CD Burner XP Pro. I do have it installed (I rarely use it though). Is this error something I need to worry about? Could it be causing problems with external USB hard drives? The MS Knowledge Base has no info about NMSAccessU.... any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. rarchimedes

rarchimedes Private E-2

dlb,

I encountered NMSAccessU.exe running as a process on my system, and was able to trace it down to CD Burner XP Pro just as you did. I have extensively googled it, and find several references to it in the "hijack this" forum, though none of them point to it as malware or spyware. I have ended it as a process, though I assume it will reload either at the next reboot or the next time that I run CD Burner XP Pro even though it is not detected by any of my startup tracers. The name is surely evocative of spyware, but that is just a suspicion. I have gone into my firewall and disabled any access that it might have to the internet, but it could certainly spawn descendant or independent processes that might or might not be caught. I think that the sponsors here ought to take a closer look at this one.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you look in Services is that NMSAccessU service listed, if so whats its status? if set to disabled or manual then its likely that this error message will always show as by default its set to automatic.

Its not malware, sadly if you search a processes name on the internet your likely to see these listed in hijackthis logs, but hijackthis lists many processes that are harmless.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Very true. Besides, I started this thread over 2 months ago, last year in fact, and the issue has long since been corrected (I upgraded to a new mobo/CPU and formatted the HD) by not using CDBurner XP anymore. It's a good program, but I like BurnAware better....
    We can probably consider this thread closed....

5. rarchimedes

rarchimedes Private E-2

Halo,

I have several process tracking programs and have used hijack this many times, so I am aware of the possibilities. The problem that I have is that NMSAccessU.exe shows up in the process list after each reboot, even though none of my startup trackers show any trace of it. It installs itself as a service with manual status, which means that it should not start up without some other program tipping it, but it does show up, which means that something is tripping it, even when CDBurnerXP is not started. It also shows no dependencies of any kind, which is odd for a service that is "necessary". dlb may be prepared to close this thread, but I am not, because I believe that the folks at CDBurnerXP need to explain the odd naming and the service that starts up without any listed dependencies. Yes, I have sealed it off with the firewall, but I'd prefer to know what is going on here, and since Major Geeks sponsors this thing, I believe that they would be the appropriate folks to put the question to the authors. Also, when a program places a service in my machine, they need to tell me first. The program itself performs admirably, but it wouldn't be the first good program to be intentionally or unintentionally contaminated.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

7. rarchimedes

rarchimedes Private E-2

studiot,

Save your sarcasm for someone who cares. I looked at your URL and searched for NMSAccessU and read the result. It seems that they aren't doing much better of a job of answering than has happened on this forum. A lot of people don't want non-admin access to burners, so the program should ask before it installs this item or really any service, especially one that abrogates security. And, a complainer in the name of "Major Geeks" is much more likely to get their attention than am I, since I haven't distributed almost a million copies of their program.

8. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

As Studiot said the answer to your question is there.

http://cdburnerxp.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5170&p=18700&hilit=NMSAccessU#p18700

Seems logical to me that a CD Burner would need access to your CD/DVD Drives?

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Until I saw your thread I had never heard of cdburnerXP, let alone used it.

Since, at half past midnight, I thought you genuinely wanted help not a name calling platform, I did what you could have done - I looked.

Since I am not a member of the cdburnerxp forum I couldn't gain access to detailed data, but I thought you would like to know about it. It seemed to me to be a logical forum to join and ask questions in.

Many thanks for your input Cat.

10. rarchimedes

rarchimedes Private E-2

studiot,

I am a member, and I did read it and I didn't like it much better than what I already knew. A service is unnecessary to access a CD/DVD drive. According to those on that forum, the purpose of NMSAccessU is not to provide actual driver access to the drive, but to allow non-administrative access to the drive without permissions. Such a service can be a conduit for multiple types of access, because it requires privilege levels that are not necessarily good for your security. From what I can tell, a user with administrative rights can access the drives without this piece of code. Further, it does not document this security violation nor offer the installer an opportunity not to have this security hole in their system. And, it is difficult to discern exactly what such a piece of code is doing with it's privileges. I've been at this computing business for 42 years now, and I do read as much as I can as well as compare what I do see to my experience. And I do recognize RTFM in all it's various guises, so don't play innocent with me. My original problem with the module has not changed with any of the additional information. A service of suspicious nature is installed without explanation or choice, and that is a violation of secure practices, which I object to in any case. I don't always mind taking a risk when I am aware of the risk that I am taking. When such a risk is imposed on me by a software author without giving me any choice or awareness in the matter, then I do strongly object, and I believe that the authorities here at Major Geeks should also object.

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you don't like the program don't use it.

Pay for another one like much of the rest of the world, including me do.

Can you name a computer in 1966 that had RTFM?

12. rarchimedes

rarchimedes Private E-2

studiot,

I must hope that you are joking, but I can comment that the phrase represented by RTFM was current in the field in 1966, when I took my first programming course using the CDC 6600 and 3300 at UT Austin. I guess the current version of it for this situation would be RTFF, where the last "F" would stand for "forum". Now I will proceed to ROFL repeatedly until my sides hurt.

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

As this thread has now turned into a word-drama by the two of you, and the OP has already resolved the issue some time ago, thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds