Event viewer 3 to 4 hour gaps

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2bfree, May 6, 2005.

1. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

Hi, is it normal for event viewer to have gaps of 3 to 4 hours whilst the computer is being used. And does it record all errors. I had a memory error which shut down a program, yet there was no record of this happening. I wanted to know what the problem was as I cliked ok to fast. all help appreciaied.

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

If you think you have a memory problem then try this...

http://majorgeeks.com/download4226.html

Once you download it...double click on the file and it will prompt you to make a bootable disk...then reboot the system, and it will automatically start the testing!! You want it to get through 3 or 4 passes without pulling errors!! If it does make errors then, you want to try each memory module one at a time, in each different dimm slot, in order to narrow it down!! If you do get errors, then it is 1 of 2 things....either your memory is indeed bad or, if you have a high end processor, then sometimes generic memory will show memtest errors!! Either way...it wouldn't hurt to consider new memory!!

Let us know what you come up with, and if you need further help understanding what is going on!!

Roger

3. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

Hi Roger, Downloaded Memtest. Cant get it to run at all. Double click on it and windows says it cant open that file. Needs to know what program created it. Whenb I looked for program on net it said file was a cd image. Please help

4. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Could you tell me what the application is that crashed? Was it a memory access error? Is this a single isolated event or something that occurrs often?

5. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

It crashed twice playing C.S and twice trying to install asus tempster. I am pretty sure it was memory related crash, however I clicked the O.K button too quickly, thinking I could access the error in event viewer. It has happened four to five times now, mostly playining Counter strike. I have also loaded asus prob 2 and keep getting a power fan warning, dont know what this means or if it is any help.
    I am a little upset as the whole computer has been replaced for a new one, as the store couldn’t fix previous problem, which is very similar to what is happening now. Thanks for your reply Capn.

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Sorry...I didn't explain that it is a .zip file!! So you have to extract it before you can open it!! Do you know how to do that??

Roger

7. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

Yea I unzipped it. Right click and extract all. Still says it needs to know what program created it. Thanks Roger

8. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Sorry again....I had no idea that the major geeks download was for a burnable iso file for making a bootable cd!!

I got mine by googling for it and I just assumed it was the same thing!!! WOOPS!!

However I have attatched the file of the one that we are shooting for!! Extract all the files, and then navigate to the install file and double click on it and it will open up the dos command window and ask you what drive you are going to install to!! I'm assuming your floppy is A:\ so just type that in, and mke sure ofcourse you've got a floppy in the drive and it will make a bootable floppy, which is what you will boot off of when you restart the computer, and like I said before...It will automatically start when it boots, then let it run for 3 to 4 passes, and see if it pulls any errors!! Then I think it says Esc. is to stop test and when you do that it will reboot the comp again, and ofcourse get that floppy out of the drive, so it can't start that again!!

Let me know if you don't understand anything, and let us know what the test comes up with!!

Roger

Attached Files:

9. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

Thanks for the help Roger. I ll let you know what happens in a few days, got a bucket load of work commitments. Thanks for the help.

10. 2bfree

2bfree Private E-2

Hi, first chance I have had to get back to the computer. I still couldn’t get memtest86 to run. Did everything u said. I was just wondering, I have a Pentium 4 3 GHz and the memtest is for computers with x86 architecture. I don’t have a clue what that means.

I was able to run MemTest (a ram reliability memory test, the download right above memtest86) for 13 hours without any problems.

I still have big gaps in my event viewer and when I get errors, some of them are not recorded in the event log. Sorry I took so long to let you know how it went. The work I had, took a lot longer than I expected. All help will be appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds