Event Viewer Dcom Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by BCGray, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I keep getting the following ERROR in my Event Viewer though everything is working fine.

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

As you can see from the attached image this is generated ever 10 seconds
    If I go into system services and disable DCOM I get problems with numerous programs MS Word being one, even though DCOM does not list any dependencies. I cannot find netman in system services but a search says it is part of a MS service pack

I am running Windows XP Sp2 with custom profile based on Black Viper
    Any thoughts Oh Master Geeks

Attached Files:

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Thanks Toni that may be it, just have to go back and give it a good read, got as far as "Disabled Help & support" and that was on that I believe I disabled in my custom profile, Duuuuuuuuuh guess I should try the default profile eh, trouble is it is so Slooooooooooooow.:mad:

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server: {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} << BCGray

To solve the "DCOM issue" which you have described; follow steps 1 thru 10 below:

(1) Open Component Services from Administrative Tools.
    (2) Expand out the tree to show the following node: \Console Root\Component Services\Computers\My Computer\DCOM Config\netman
    (3) Right click the netman node and choose Properties from the context menu. The netman Properties window is shown.
    (4) Click on the Security tab in the window.
    (5) In the Launch and Activation Permissions frame, ensure that Customize is chosen, then click the corresponding Edit... button. The Launch Permission window is shown.
    (6) Select the user NETWORK SERVICE in the Group or user names list. (If it doesn't exist, add it via the Add... button.).
    (7) Tick the Allow checkbox for Local Activation.
    (8) Click OK to the Launch Permission window.
    (9) Click OK to the netman Properties window.
    (10) Close the Component Services window.

Important Note: For this to work properly; you must follow these steps exactly in the order described above. Therefore copy the entire post to a word or text document. As a precaution; you might want to Create a System Restore Point prior to doing the steps above - just in case something goes wrong during or after the process.

Good Luck!

5. Toni_1947

@ COMPUABLE
    It would be nice to know where you found and copied the above solution.
    Would you mind posting a link to it?
    Thanks, :)
    Toni

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> @ COMPUABLE It would be nice to know where you found and copied the above solution. Would you mind posting a link to it? Thanks, Toni <<

Sure, no problem Toni! ;)

Here is the exact process I went through to research the DCOM problem which BCGray detailed above:

First I researched Event: 10005 at the Microsoft Knowledge Base (99 results).

Then I researched BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E at the Microsoft.com search. (19 results)

There, I found two identical entries in two different threads by MSDN Forum member Gregory Williams:

(1) TFS B3: TF50244 Error - MSDN Forums

(2) TFS SErver Beta3 single server installation failed - MSDN Forums

Both entries in the two threads solved the problem for those who had the same DCOM error as BC Gray had:
    {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

No. 2 most closely matched BCGray’s error.

Good Luck!

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Hey you both are fantastic, and Thanks again for the time and effort. Once again Compuable you amaze me. I must admit to following your posts around MG just to gain new knowledge from you great posts, ever one has some new tidbit that I never heard of before.:)THANKS

8. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Hey you both are fantastic, and Thanks again for the time and effort. Once again Compuable you amaze me. I must admit to following your posts around MG just to gain new knowledge from you great posts, ever one has some new tidbit that I never heard of before. THANKS <<

Oh, anytime BCGray... My pleasure, really. ;)

I enjoy this forum very much. This type of web-based forum really suits my needs and I'm also humbled as well, by the great answers presented as well as the 'give and take' abundantly offered here.

And the Major Geek’s forum has all the elements that I need; dedicated regulars who participate thoughtfully, as well as competent oversight by Major Attitude; Abby and others. Unlike many other web-based forums, this one welcomes new folks everyone calls: “newbies” from whom I learn quite a lot from by reading the thoughtful, concise and competent, well-intentioned replies by members (experienced and otherwise).

I actually get far more out of this forum than I could ever give. Any computer-related knowledge that I might currently 'claim' or have to share in here or elsewhere - I would give 99.8% of the 'credit' for it; to the fine-forum-folks of the internet-based forum bulletin board’s that I have participated in over the years.

Good Luck!

9. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Once again well put Compuable, and I echo your thoughts as well, this site is my "Best Find on the net" The fact all the residents play nice, and enjoy each others company is the REAL bonus here:D

10. Toni_1947

Amen!
    All in a day's work, eh fellas? :)

Attached Files:

11. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Compuable I think that this might have something to do with Windows Defender, for when I went to create a restore point I noticed that Windows Defender had created about sixteen restore points in the past two hours Will keep you all posted

12. Toni_1947

I had Windows Defender, but uninstalled it 'cause I didn't like it.
    I went through the steps and it was already set up right.
    Maybe you could exit Windows Defender and try again?

Attached Files:

13. Toni_1947

oops! ignore this....lol!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  14. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Thanks Toni, Halo gave me some advise with regards to a previous problem with Defender, might try that again......sheesh wish I hadn't opened Event Viewer, wouldn't have even known then:) Here is as far as I can get in the console root, then it goes back to the start of Administrative Tools

Attached Files:

• 22.JPG
      22.JPG
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
  15. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I tried this as well Toni and the attached image says it all
    PS the cute guy in the background is my Grandson, with his first trike

Attached Files:

16. Toni_1947

This a real toughy, eh?
    Service Does Not Start and Displays "Error 1058"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241584
    Got to keep trying! ;) ( Proud grand-pa, are ya? GOOD!)

17. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Sorry about the delay burnt the candle into the wee hours on this problem, and felt I had better give you guys a concise report for future reference.

Turns out that Compuable had the right idea, however as I had originally posted I had modified my MS services as per Black Vipers paper so I have two start-up profiles. One a partially stripped version for fast start-up and browsing, this profile is still a work in progress. So I had disabled some services, but not others. In that mode I was attempting to get into Component Root\Component Services\Computers\ then could go no further as per my prior posts aaaaargh. About two in the morning it dawn on me Duuuuuuh that I was running in my second profile. Rebooted in default profile with all MS services running problem solved after the Compuable fix, still not certain how, but who am I to question the Computer Gods.

Needless to say I have some more hours work on that second profile, but I tell you the speed gain is sure worth it.

Toni Thanks once again for sticking by me through this, you to Compuable, you two are the reason MG is such a great site. Toni your quote “Proud grand-pa, are ya? GOOD!” Darn tooting, Happiest little tike I have ever seen, he just turned one in April, and is at that glorious stage of discovery, you know hours just watching his fingers move, and some say computers are smart, like to see them figure out complex movement principals like kids do naturally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds