Evercool Transformer 4 CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I enter many giveaway contests at many different tech review sites, and never won anything until yesterday . . . I won an Evercool Transformer 4 CPU Cooler!!! :celebrate

I did some research on it, it seems to be geared towards being silent over being a top performer, and this is due primarily to the 1000rpm fans that ship with the cooler (moving approx 40cfm max). After reading quickly thru about 15 or 20 reviews, it seems that it does a fair job with the stock fans, but I could only find one review where the fans were swapped for high performance 2000rpm fans. However, the cooling results listed in this one review are so far from the results I saw in every other review that it has me wondering if they did something wrong in mounting the cooler, or in measuring the temps, or whatever. The review compares the Transformer4 to a few other coolers; the T4 section of the review starts here. If you check their results against every other review (OK, maybe not EVERY other review, but all the ones I read in the first 2 pages of Google results), you'll see there's a HUGE difference.... so.... where was I going with this? Oh - yeah - if anyone happens to know of (or can find) a review where some high speed performance fans were used with this cooler, feel free to post a link. Keep in mind, I have already read approx 20 different reviews, and none (except the one I just linked to) swapped the fans. I'm not really looking to replace my current CPU cooler (CoolerMaster Hyper212+ w/ two Scythe SlipStream 120mm 110cfm fans in push/pull), but if this Evercool Transformer4 can do a better job with my two Scythe 110cfm fans, then of course I swap out the coolers.....

Feel free to offer your thoughts, opinions, recommendations, whatever....

(I don't really want to experiment and swap out the coolers 'just to see what happens'; it's a pain-in-the-you-know-what to swap out the coolers, and I don't want to unbox a brand new cooler if it's not going to guarantee better performance)

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Congratulations on the win, i don't know if you have seen this review but it's pretty comprehensive.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/article783.html

I have a Coolmaster V8 and it's fantastic, my CPU runs at 100% all the time on folding and the temp never gets above 65c

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the link Bill.... I read so many reviews of the Transformer4 a few weeks ago that I have no idea if I read that particular review or not. At stock speeds, the T4 is within about 3 or 4 degrees Celsius of their top performers in that review. Their overclock was fairly large (from 2.66ghz to 3.8ghz) and the T4 lagged behind in that test, but these results are pretty standard to what I've seen. I was hoping to see a review where the reviewers used some potent high-CFM fans (like my Scythe 110cfm 120mm monsters) on the Transformer4. The stock fans are pretty weak and are meant to reduce noise over great cooling (I think the stock fans are rated at about 40-45cfm). Like I said, I found 1 review where the fans were replaced with high-CFM models, but their results were so far off of every other review (I'm talking about over 15 different reviews that were more-or-less consistent with this 1 being WAY different) that I have a hard time taking their results seriously. If I could remember the review, I'd post a link, but I've lost the motivation to search again so without some type of miracle, I probably won't post a link to that particular review.... I'm still waiting for the cooler to arrive, and I'll probably end up mounting it to my CPU "just to see" how does. LOL

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I guess I included a link in my first post above to the review that used high-CFM fans . . . I forgot that I did :-o

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If anyone cares, I ended up trading the cooler to someone that wanted better-than-stock cooling and near silence. They had a Spire ThermaxII Eclipse. It is a bit loud, especially for someone seeking silence (it has two 120mm fans spinning at 2200rpm). However, I have five 85cfm 120mm case fans howling away, plus I had two 110cfm fans on my previous cooler (CoolerMaster Hyper212+), and my pair of video cards have the fans locked at 80%. No, I don't care if my fans are loud; my PC is cool, and I like it that way. :cool Anyway, I traded the Evercool Transformer4 for a somewhat elusive Spire ThermaxII Eclipse, and I must say this Spire cooler KICKS @$$!!! My idle temps have dropped by about 6c, and my gaming temp have dropped by about 8c, and under a full 100% stress test on all cores, the CPU doesn't break 44c!!!! And that's in a room that's always pretty warm at about 25c (that's 77f).

(no - I never did mount the Evercool Cooler to my system... I did put it on an Intel i7-950 and it kept that CPU idling in the mid-high 40sC; under load it hit 58c which I felt was too high for that CPU)

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Looks like a sweet cooler,it's nice to know people actually win those competitions:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds