EVGA 7800GS Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gone2tokyo, Sep 14, 2007.

1. gone2tokyo

gone2tokyo Private E-2

Hey gang,
    I was given a EVGA 7800GS (AGP) by a friend of mine and I am having some problems.
    The main problem is that when the card is installed I get no video out of the VGA,DVI or the SVideo. :)
    I have tried it in multiple setups both of which have sufficient PSU wattage and AGP X8.
    When the card is installed the board still POSTs but there is no video.
    As I mentioned, this card has been tested in other machines, but here is the specs of the system that I would love the card to be permanently installed on (assuming the card isn't crapped out):
    P4 Northwood 3.0 w HT
    480Watt Antec True Power
    Dell Dimension 8300 (478pin) board
    2 GB KVR PC3200

It really bothers me that the system POSTs with this card but displays nothing. I have eye-checked all the capacitors and they all seem to be making connection. EVGA refuses to help me with this card because of thier Non Transferrable Warrently policies.

:major ANY IDEAS are MORE than welcome! :cool
    Thanks so much,
    Randy LV,NV,USA

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

have you uninstalled your previous video card? im guessing it was onboard graphics?

if the card was dead you probably would be getting a distorted image, not no image at all. oh, and did you plug in the extra power cable?

3. gone2tokyo

gone2tokyo Private E-2

Good questions! To answer the first, I should have told you that this is a fresh boot of XP Pro on both computers. No onboard on either MOBO.

To the second question, I answer Yes :)
    The fan on the built in heatsink spins but no image is displayed on forementioned outputs. I just thought of something though! Well two things actually:
    1) I will install a PCI POST card that will determine for sure if the board is really posting properly
    2) I have a spare PCI video card that I will try to install first. After installing (or reinstalling) the drivers and making sure that the BIOS is set to use the PCI VGA card as the primary video for boot, I will reinstall the AGP card (with the PCI VGA card still installed) and see if WXP recognizes the AGP. Wish me luck.

:major

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

wow it's a Dell with no onboard video? im impressed lol.

yea, your plan sounds good, it could very well be the mobo

5. gone2tokyo

gone2tokyo Private E-2

Haven't tried my theory yet, going to try in a bit.
    In regards to the board being the issue I have also tried it on a ASUS p4p800se with a Antec 480 True Power PSU. Thanks again for all of your input. I think we can really figure this out. I found a second set of VGA, SVideo and DVI connections to solder on if those are deems to be bad. Exciting day :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds