EVGA 9800GT Blackscreen after driver install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deearr, Aug 7, 2010.

1. deearr

deearr Private E-2

Hey people!

I was attempting to install a EVGA 9800GT in my comp, everything was going fine, the Comp recognised the card and started installing the drivers. On completion of install I get a prompt asking to restart. So I did and Bang! I get a Blackscreen instead of windows (I can see the post and windows loading).

Vista SP2
    Amd Athlon X2 +5200
    4GB RAM
    600W psu
    ASUS M3N72-D Mobo.

I have a ASUS 9800GT as well and I can take this card in and out all day without problems at all.
    The EVGA card seems to work ok (i.e the computer detects it and installs drivers), it just doesn't give me any video once the drivers are installed.
    Any ideas as how I could fix this? (I'm pulling my hair out)

Possible causes:
    Motherboard incompatibility (unlikely)
    Bad Ram (tested using windows memory and no problems)
    Refresh rate?
    Old drivers?
    Busted card? (please don't say it)

Any and all help apprecialted!

Thx in advance
    deearr

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What I would do is to download and install Driver Sweeper (BUT do not run it yet) download the lastest driver version for your graphic card BUT dont install yet.

Use Add/Remove and unsinstall your Nvidia Graphics Driver, then reboot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and then run Driver Sweeper to remove any Nvidia Graphics and Physx driver.

Then install the Nvidia driver you downloaded earlier and once installed if not prompted to reboot, reboot into normal mode.

3. deearr

deearr Private E-2

Thx for reply, followed instrucions to the word (twice).

The card installs its own drivers everytime, and if i delete them and install my own and reboot it installs them again. If i reboot with the drivers that the card installs I get that perisitant black screen.

I can't win.

More options?

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I hate to say it but it sounds like the card is dead. Kinda how my 9800GT died. It would go to black screen then nv4dll bsod

Call Evga. Even if you didn't register it they will probably help you out like they did with me. They have really good customer service.

Also make sure you plugged the card into the PSU.

5. cloidbill

cloidbill Private E-2

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to my 9800GT when I upgraded drivers last month. It's not an uncommon problem. Look at the Nvidia forums. A lot of ppl have lost the 9800 GT's. Of course Nvidia isn't going to do a thing about it since these cards are "obsolete".

6. Maudibe

Maudibe Private E-2

Try this, it might help. Re-install your ASUS card and boot your computer to windows. Surf to NVidia's website and download most recent driver for your card (258.96_desktop_winxp_32bit_english_whql 8/8/2010) and save to desktop. Open device manager, click on display adapters then right click on your ASUS video card and uninstall it to remove drivers that may conflict. Power off computer and install new video card and boot to safemode. Run the driver update and follow instructions on screen. Make sure you have power connections to video card secured. Hope this helps

7. deearr

deearr Private E-2

Thanks for the replies,
    I have tried all these options but have had no joy.
    I have come to the conclusion that this card is broken.
    Thank you to all who tried to assist me in my efforts.

deearr.

8. v2ladimyr

v2ladimyr Private E-2

Sorry to necro a thread, but I believe other users may see this same behavior, as I have just experienced it. This issue occurs with the EVGA 9800gt when used with nvidia driver sets after around version 179, I've found threads similar to this on several websites, and I'm working on finding a solution. Hopefully this user didnt trash his card over this issue or was within a return policy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds