Ew. Freezing, and Bluescreen DOUBLE COMBO!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pyro682, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

2. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Uh.... help anyone? please?

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I agree with Mark that the thread indicated is long on words and short on data.

What add ons do you have installed in your IE?

Have you ever had any problems when running any other program?

4. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Starcraft is the only program.

I thought that since totally redoing windows and delteing anything that has been put on in the past and redoing it from the start, any malware might have been Reduced.

Ive received bluescreens, there are records of two of them, but For some odd reason... I only remember 1??? it was while i was Trying to follow the clean-up process, but it gave me a bluescreen. This was back when i was in the other thread that i created.

Ok, I never do attatchments, but i think theyre on here... Hopefully this will give you the info you need???

----EDIT----
    yea, ok, theyre on here.

I cant complete the process of "cleansing my computer", because I get a bluescreen when Im in the program, and running the cleaner. the program that causes this is Spybot, Search and Destroy. [INTENSE NAME!!! Rofl]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

NV etc Disp

That points to Nvidia/Direct X problems.

I can be a pig to get a compatible set with the motherboard BIOS. I understand it once worked so you must have has such a set once.

To gt it back again will take some experimenting on your part.

6. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313

It was this one. Mimsy Linked me to it (or linked it to me?) in my last thread.

Basically I just used the Alienware ghost Image DVD. Im pretty sure it erases all of the things that the User puts on there, and restores it (Software wise) back to the day that it was shipped to the customer. It basically resets everything, if I understand correctly, but then again, I'm probably not right.

It has happened both before and after this, which is why I even used the Ghost Image DVD, and it didn't fix it.

And Studiot, I have no idea what you were saying in that post... Can you throw it in lame terms for me?

7. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

OH! And I forgot. i DID have IE 7 once, but I rolled back because that version didn't fit with the skin I had. The freezing problem was still occuring when I had IE 7.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Your dump 'BSOD1' identified problems with an Nvidia driver nv4_disp.dll.

Nvidia has been notorious for flaky drivers in reent years.

NICKADSL has been posting update links here at Major Geeks.

You also need the correct DirectX drivers to go with you graphics drivers, they are both vital to the stability of your system.

It is also possible that your Java implementation is out of date and this has caused the freezing in IE, whether 6,7 or 8

9. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Well, When I'm in IE alone, it doesnt freeze at all. It only happens in Starcraft, But I'm trying the driver solution, and have just found that my driver is out of date. I'll see if thats what is causing all the ruckus. God, If this works, I'll be so happy.... I'll... have an anniversary party with my computer.

10. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Ok, well I just DLed DirectX10, and the Most up to date Nvidia driver, all to no avail. It was a good try, but my SC still keeps crashing. However, the crashing is different. Now, Whenever i start a game and I press "Start" at the Mission brieifing screen (I dont know if you have any idea what that is, i REALLY hope you do so you understand what im talking about) It freezes. Right then, right there, every time.

Btw, this crashing has happened before I Dled the drivers. I'm not sure if i mentioned it or not, but probably not. Sorry?

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

open Internet Explorer>tools>internet options>advanced tab.

Post a screenshot or listing of the setting of the Java, Microsoft VM and Multimedia settings.

Is the Java Sun or Micrsoft?

12. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Well, I scrolled down a bit for the Java sun part, because i think thats what you wanted to know. Here it is:

Attached Files:

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

14. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Ok, well now it doesnt freeze at the beginning, I can get into the actual game now, but it freezes just like before?

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't usually help with games, since I am not a gamer, but I would now look to update any flash components used.

Also consider unloading any third party toolbars from IE, one at a time.

16. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Ok, well, i updated flash, and i didnt have any toolbars, so i dont know what now.
    Good news is, i havent seen it freeze during the menu where the IE box is.
    Bad News is, it still crashes in-game.
    Ideas?
    btw, thanks alot for everything so far.

17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Does the game have a forum or helpline you can ask?

Also look in event viewer to see what happened at the time of a freeze.

type
    eventvwr.msc into the run box.

18. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Acutally, ive been checking event viewer... Nothing. (I go through control panel)

But, Ive been talking to some people on SC itself int he battlenet rooms.

I took their advice and Rightclicked on Starcraft.EXE>Properties>Run Compatability mode> into the dropdown> WindowsNT

I dont know what it does, but I tried it. Now, instead of freezing, I think it just has a windows "lower bleep noise..." Its hard to explain the bleep, it wasnt loud like a computer thing, it was part of the windows theme.

After the bleep, it opens the SC folder, which distrupts the game, and it becomes non-responding. I have to do a Ctrl-alt-delete and end it.

19. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Hey, More info on the "bleep"

Apparently, The whole windows noise has a file name of
    "Windows XP ding.Wav"
    If you use the default sound scheme, its the Default beep.

I tried to put the sound in my head, and i did some digging for the sounds. I went to Control panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds
    and scrolled down through the list untill i reached it.
    To double check, i clicked all of the other sounds. The only sound it was, was the Default Beep.

I dont know if this helps or not... I hope it does.

Does this give you any ideas?

20. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Not really I'm afraid.
    Games writers are renowned for substituting their own routines for standard Windows ones. Unfortunately when there is a program update there is always a danger that the standard will have changed so the gamers custom routine will no longer work correctly.

21. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

... So.... what do i Do?

Do you suggest i ask anyone in specific?
    Is there any place i can go?

22. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Ok. I gave up and tried to Reformat, but my computer keeps crashing at random spots during the reformatting process....
    I have no idea where to turn now.
    Am i screwed?

23. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Well, I decided to make sure it wasn't a virus, and I got a BSoD.

I used Ad-Aware 2008 to scan the entire system.
    The Error name was "TRAP_CAUSE_UNKOWN".

For the Mini Dump file, here it is.

Attached Files:

24. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

When you reinstall XP, I suggest you go for a completely clean install.

That is remove the old one first by deleting the partition
    Run the hard drive manufacturer's disk check
    Create new partition
    Install XP and format during install

25. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

Ok, its crashing before I can even get to the option with the Partition now. What do i Do??

26. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you can't connect the drive to another system, you need a boot disk of some sort.

27. Pyro682

Pyro682 Private E-2

I have the disc. Its a DVD-ROM. It has the software needed to reformat. I throw it in, and it walks me through, but my computer crashes before i can get there.

Whats connecting the drive to another system? How do i do it?
    You said i needed a boot disc. Are we talking about the same thing?

28. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't understand.

Your minidump says windows XP, whcih comes on CD, not DVD?

Windows Vista comes on a DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds