exboot usb external hard disk fails to boot into windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by salt, Apr 2, 2008.

1. salt

salt Private E-2

hi there!

this is my first post. please excuse if i have done it in the wrong place.

using axiomatic software i backedup my system partition of 20 gb to the 80 gb exboot usb external disk.

i enabled, boot from usb in my bios, selected external disk as first boot priority and started the computer.

the external disk boots, reaches the windows splash screen, i can see the moving illuminated squares, but windows fails to load.

the computer reboots and goes to the screen which asks whether to load normally, or safe mode etc?

i tried the options, safe mode etc, but no luck.

could anybody suggest any error on my part?

thanks for reading and for any help in advance.

i am using windows xp with service pack 2.

i use a intel 915 gav motherboard.

salt

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Can you please post a link to the axiomatic program that you used to back up your hard drive.

3. salt

salt Private E-2

hi plodr,

thanks for replying.

i do not know how to give you a link to the axiomatic software. the software was installed on the cd that came with my exboot 80gb hard disk. i also tried to use the software on another external hard disk. the back up could not go through since i got a message saying that the software was OEM and could could be used only with the exboot.

let me know if there is anything else that i can do.

best regards,

salt

4. plodr

What brand is the external hard drive?

5. salt

salt Private E-2

hi plodr,
    the hard drive is enclosed in the exboot casing. i have not opened the casing. i am afraid to open it. if i open i may not be able to fit it back into its present working condition. maybe i need some time to pick up some courage to do it and take a look at the hard drive inside.

best regards,
    salt

6. plodr

No do not open it up. If the hard drive came with the case because you said the backup software came with it
    , I just need to know what is written on the case. I am trying to determine what backup software you are using and just having the name axiomatic does not help me to search for information.

7. salt

salt Private E-2

hi plodr,

thanks for the interest in my problem.
    sorry about the name of the software. it is not axiomatic. it is axiomtek. sending you a link, where you can see a picture of the exboot casing and a descripiton of the axiomtek software.
    http://hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=3652&cid=10

also sending a link to the user manual and data sheet

http://www.eurekapacific.com.au/exboot/technical_specifications.shtml

hoping you can find a solution. i have tried hard and cannot seem to be close to a solution.

thanks again and best regards

Attached Files:

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you make an Image of the System-Partition (C-drive) or just back up the files and folders (Data)?

9. salt

salt Private E-2

hi plodr,

i made an image of my c drive, system partition.

best regards,

salt

10. plodr

First, it says it supports XP with SP1. Did you check to see if there were any updates to support XP with SP2. It probably should work but maybe it doesn't so it might not be anything that you did wrong.
    Have you tried instead booting from the CD that came with the Exboot?
    Make the CD your first boot device then point it to the external drive and see if it can recover your backup.

11. salt

salt Private E-2

hi plodr,

i checked for updates to the axiomtek software version.
    there did not seem to be any updates available. i have not tried booting from the cd that came with the software. i have not yet understood that process. i will try in a little while. in the meantime i installed acronis director suite trial. i tried to boot with acronis. acronis detects the windows installation on the exboot usb and tries to boot and load windows, but is unsucessful. when i select the windows installation on the usb in the acronis
    os selector, the pane on the left indicates" boot sector partition missing". how do i replace the missing boot sector partition.

thank you for all the help

salt

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds