Excel changes all my formats to time

Discussion in 'Software' started by lisa1977, Nov 19, 2012.

1. lisa1977

lisa1977 Private E-2

Excel changes all my formats to time. This is the 3rd time it has happened in 2 weeks. any thoughts on how to fix this??

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What Excel version? What Excel file type: xls, xlsx, or a different file type?

And what exactly do you mean by "changes formats"; perhaps you can provide some screenshots?

3. lisa1977

lisa1977 Private E-2

Thanks Pwillener,
    Excel Version: Microsoft Excel 2010
    FILE TYPE: XLSM

When this happens it changes ever cell in the entire large 17 tab worksheet to this time format. It happens after I save it and then when I open it the following morning it has all changed. Thanks for your help!!!

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, lisa1977...

Pardon the intrusion: didn't know when pwillener would be logging back in...

This appears to be a fairly common Excel bug, especially when handling large spreadsheets (10-20 tabs and/or >15mb) or spreadsheets involving Pivot Tables. One thing you might check is if there are any custom formats loaded - if so, try deleting them and see if Excel will revert to and maintain the General ("Normal") format.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Excel files with the file extension .XLSM are macro enabled files, and it has to be a macro that is causing this change of cell format. Normal spreadsheets, i.e. those not macro enabled, have the file extension .XLS. Correct the cell format manually and save your file as .XLS

6. Earthling

EDIT - as this is Excel 2010 the standard file format is .XLSX, not .XLS, though I'm pretty sure either will work.

7. lisa1977

lisa1977 Private E-2

Thanks Caliban,
    How do I check for custom (preset) formats?? To the best of my knowledge, they are custom in regards to the fact that I formatted them. The file size is 1.62 MB

8. lisa1977

lisa1977 Private E-2

Thanks Earthing,
    I have several macros I use in this Spreadsheet and that is why I use the xlsx format. I will revisit them and see if there is a bug in them that is creating this problem!

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Click the 'Format' button, and in the corresponding menu see if there are any entries that you do not recognize or that you know you did not load - remove any oddities that you find.

Do the same in the Office folder(s): in Windows Explorer navigate to Program Files > Microsoft Office > Office12 (I don't have an XP machine available ATM, but your path should be similar) - look for any files that seem suspicious or out of whack. I wouldn't start randomly deleting anything in that folder, but you should be able to see if something's amiss.

10. Earthling

Just correcting the format and saving and reloading as .XLSX will prove whether or not this problem is related to one of your macros. Process of elimination.

11. TheRealStig

TheRealStig Private E-2

My turn to apologise for intruding - I do have same problem, apart from the sheet re-opens with most cells as currency.
    I run W7, Excel 2010, file format is .xlsx which should be macros disabled, right?
    It's a super-simple sheet, basically multiplying units with unit prices.
    12 lines, total size of sheet 133kb.
    See print attached - where it now shows ####### format when saved/closed was either NUMBER or GENERAL, but changes into CURRENCY.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds