Excel not reading Open Office Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Feb 12, 2009.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Someone sent me an Open Office spreadsheet attachment. Apparantly, Excel should open it?? All I'm getting are the symbols.

Any suggestions? (other than downloading Open Office which I have no interest in)

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Try right clicking the file attachment and select Save As, then change the file extension to .xls and save under a different file name, and not the Open Office equivalent. I run Open Office at home and Excel at work and have no probs doing this when I share files with myself (how sad huh!)

3. LauraR

:( Didn't work. It still gives me the Microsoft Excel warning that "This text is not in recognizable format."

Thanks for trying, Lev.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

If it isn't confidential, send it to "lev at majorgeeks dot com" and I'll turn it around for you.

5. LauraR

Sent. Not confidential at all...just a my daughter's dance recital makeup instructions. LOL

Thanks!

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

It's not coming thru.....try again?

7. LauraR

Weird.

Ok...sent again.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

9. LauraR

Ugh. "Server maintainence".

I'll try later. That's a good link to have though.

Thanks again!

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I see that Open Office can save in Excel 97/2000/XP format. The person who sent you the file may not know that. You could mention that to the sender; perhaps they could save the file in Excel format and re-send it.

11. LauraR

Actually I think the file must be corrupted.

The link Lev sent 'successfully' converted it, but I'm still getting the unreadable error that just brings up the unreadable symbols.

I'll ask her to resend and see if she can save it as an excel file.

Thanks to both of you for trying.

12. LauraR

Follow up email from the person:

"Sorry about that file. I will resend a new one later tonight in the correct format. My apologies."rolleyes

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I would agree with a corrupt file problem. I could not convert it as usafveteran describes, and I do that all the time with my own files between work and home.

Hhope you get this resolved Laura. Holler if we can be of further help.

14. LauraR

She resent it after she converted it herself. She must have had numerous email replies.

Thanks again for trying, Lev. I appreciate it.:)

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You're welcome - glad you got it resolved :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds