1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

excel vba converter and installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by rhinoceros, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

I am running Excel2007 with windows Vista. I have an add-in from an older version of Excel that I would like to use. In trying to install it I have run into problems.

It seems that Excel 2007 cannot read VBA sripts from older versions of Excel. When opening files that include VBA, I get an error message describing the problem. I have followed this to Microsoft, and downloaded their "VBA converter pack." It is a single file of type *.bin. I have no idea how to use it. Please help!
  2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Do you know what it is? I mean do you know what you have saved inside that document?
  3. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Exactly what version is that older version?
  6. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

The link you offered is for a different converter--to allow users of older versions of Excel to open files created with the newer version. Mine is an issue of forward compatibility. I find it surprisng that even Microsoft would create a new version of a product without full forward compatibility.

The one non-trivial property shown for the file is that it opens with "Windows Common Shell DLL." I find this unhelpful since I have only used dll's in conjunction with other executable files.

usaf vet:

The previous version of excel, with which this add-in worked, was excel 2000. But I had brought it forward from yet older versions. When it was created, Windows95 was the prevailing operating system
  7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

8. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Private E-2

The CD burn approach failed. I tried both "mastered" and "file access" formats. The same page suggest various programs to open .bin files. I Installed PowerISO but it doesn't recognize the file.

Anyway, that .bin file is for Macintosh (according to microsoft). So I think I need something different.

I have to believe this is a fairly common problem. I expect lots of people use excel add-ins. They can't be happy about abandoning previous work when they "upgraded?!" to Office 2007.

Do you know of other forums focused on excel? I expect I would learn a lot of other good stuff there too.
  9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek