Excellent 5 bar signal yet....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joe berg, Nov 4, 2011.

1. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Hi.

I have no tele so stream a lot of football rugby etc 5 bars signal yet on the constant disconnections which is doubly irritating as each time you have to watch the ads on reconnection. everything is updated and it has been suggested I change the wireless signal on the router. To do this I need its IP address.I "ipconfig"ed to get it and attached is the screen that came up which I cant make head or tail of not being a MS DOS sort of person.

It may not help my connection but I am puzzled as to what it means

Cheers

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Well, have you exhausted all router problems? Wireless streaming will always suck unless you are within 20 feet and even then you have considerations. 5 bars farther then this means little to me. Plug a cable in and see if it works better, if not we have another issue. Things to consider if the wired connection is no better:

Time of day: Busy traffic = less speeed for you.
    Router channel: Auto will usually suck as it will interfere with other wireless signals. Try channel 6. There can be a lot more here to consider, it's a chapter in itself including neighbors channels.
    Updated drivers for your wireless card.
    Updated firmware for your router.

3. Major Attitude

P.S I hate when people give generic advice. You were told to "change the wireless signal" and apparently not told what this means or how to do it. If someone can't explain it, don't take their advice. They might have meant wireless channel as I mentioned above. Nothing with your IP address in this situation will help you and NOTHING in a DOS windows especially. You need to log into your router with a computer connected to the router with a cat 5 cable. If you don't know how to do this, let me know the make and model of the router and myself or someone will tell you how to connect to it.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Since you'll need the IP for the router and that should show in the ipconfig that you ran, can you scroll up in the screen shot you attached and look for a line that says gateway please. If under a section that says Wireless you have a gateway with a value, just that value is the IP that you need. 192.168.1.1 ??

5. Major Attitude

Not relevant. As this person is being helped your additional response adds nothing and confuses people. Stick to threads where people NEED help.

6. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Thank you both for looking at my thread. The situation is that I live in an apartment above an office that has very kindly allowed me to link up to their router ( Netgear). I have tried to update the firmware but it is password protected. I have updated all my drivers and would like to try changing the router channel to 6. Major Attitude mentioned that is a whole new chapter so could someone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

Joe

7. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Just realised I probably cant change the channel until I access the router. Unfortunately not admin and password. I will have to wait until someone comes into work

Joe

8. Major Attitude

That changes everything, you left out a pretty important item; that you were using someone elses router. Yes, changing channel might help. But again, you are using a router used by people in that office as well and if you are more than 20 or 30 feet away, forget aobut it :(

9. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Major, it is unclear on whether you are suggesting that the search for an answer is unlikely to be fruitful. If that is the case then I'd like to take a very quick crack at the problem. Never does any good to step on the big guy's toes. I've had some luck with these issues in particular and am only interested in being helpful.

Joe Berg -
    I'm a little burned out today so if this isn't too clear, just ask.

I'm more than 30 feet from the wireless router and I stream Netflix. I guess you can get lucky too.

The thing with using someone else's setup is that you don't know what filters or restrictions you are dealing with. I limit streaming on my network via the firewall.

It could be impossible for us to diagnose. Perhaps a quick word with the office IT person will give you the best idea about why you are losing connection. If they have a very basic setup and no real help for you, if you would post the router model, sometimes it can give a clue. There may be nothing you can do about it. I've had some issues with D-Link and better luck with Netgear. It would be more of a matter of knowing to give up than fixing.

The questions I have for you is what is the encryption type and are you using for DHCP for the IP and the DNS settings? I've had some luck with static settings and they are simple enough to be worth testing.

10. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

I would estimate I am just under 20 feet away. As for the people in the office they are 9-5 so not using the router at the same time as me. As for DHCP I really dont know. The Router is Netgear

Joe

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds