exchange 2K and routing emails

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by platinum, Jan 17, 2004.

1. platinum

platinum Private E-2

I'm a neophyte with exchange

I'm hosting web sites and doing the DNS for the sites. I now have Backoffice and exchange 2k installed. The manual I purchased is laborsome and confusing.

Can someone tell me if it is possible for me to do the following.

I'm hosting a web (i.e. www.hostedweb.com) and running the DNS for the site.
    I wish to set up user@hostedweb.com but not manage a mailbox on my server. I wish to route the incoming emails addressed to user@hostedweb.com to for example user@aol.com

I think this should be possible. Can someone help??
    or tell me if it isn't.

2. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

It's been a while since I've done anything with exchange but I think this can be done by going to the User's properties in Active Directory Users and computers, then going to the advanced delivery options and making the change there.

3. platinum

platinum Private E-2

Delivery options, MX record??

Thanks Boz. I did this today and entered a forwarding e-mail address. So far I have not received (at the 3rd party address) the test e-mail I sent to the initial (default) address for the account. And I have not received a delivery failure notification yet either. The message seems to be hung up somewhere. Any ideas?

I believe that I need an MX record for the domain that I am hosting, is this correct? And do I need to make sure I do anything particular with this entry?

4. Misslemike

Misslemike Private E-2

Yes, you do need an MX record in your host file somewhere but I am new to Exchange so I will look it up for you later.

5. Misslemike

Misslemike Private E-2

I mean a service record

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds