EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL.DLL at 018f:bff.c06af.

Discussion in 'Software' started by sierra, Dec 28, 2007.

1. sierra

sierra Private First Class

Every time I boot up my laptop (old Windows 98SE) I get the following error message box.
    This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down.

Details:
    EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL.DLL at 018f:bff.c06af.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=018f EIP=bffc06af EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=00000007 SS=0197 ESP=0086ef40 EBP=0086ef4c
    ECX=00000007 DS=0197 ESI=0b7ad85d FS=0fb7
    EDX=bffc9b04 ES=0197 EDI=0086f0fb GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    F3 a6 8a 46 ff 33 c9 3a 47 ff 77 04 74 04 49 49
    Stack dump:
    0086f023 0b7ad85c 00000000 0086ef80 bff9716f
    0086f0fb 0b7ad85d 00000007 0086f101 008602e2
    0086f0fa 0086f0fb 0044414f 00000000 bffc9b04
    4c4c4f42
    I have no access to any programs or internet. I also get other error boxes similar to the above with OUTPOST causing an invalid page fault in an unknown module along with Mstask causing the same in module KERNEL32.DLL. The details for these 2 are of course different.
    Thanks for any guidance you can offer me to repair this old computer. :confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It's been my personal experience that page fault errors are generally due to flakey RAM or corrupt sectors on the hard drive. Visit your hard drive maker's web site and download and run their diagnostic utility; run the advanced/extended tests. Also download and run a RAM diagnostic. I like this one: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_Memory_Diagnostic_d3955.html You'll create a bootable floppy or CD (from an ISO image) and boot to the diagnostic. I like this one 'cuz it's reliable and really easy to use. Press 'T' for the extended tests and run at least 3 or 4 passes. This will take time, so have some beer handy, maybe a pizza also...

3. sierra

How can I download when I can't access the internet on that computer? I am on a different computer. :confused

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Download the files on the healthy computer. Both diagnostic require you to create bootable CD's or floppy's. So create the discs on the healthy PC also. Then use them on the bad PC and boot to one at a time, run the test, etc...

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Oh yeah... you can find out who made the hard drive a couple of ways (if you don't already know) : Open the back of the laptop, there's usually an easily accessible hard drive compartment; go into the BIOS and get the model number of the drive from the IDE devices list or the boot devices list, then search for that model number using Google on the healthy PC; if the unhealthy PC boots to Windows you can go into the Device Manager and get the model number from the Disk Drives section, then Google search the model number as before....

6. sierra

Now the computer will only boot up in safe mode, but shows nothing. The error message says Display - Your display adapter is not configured properly. To correct the problem click ok to start hardware installation wizard.
    I then get a blue screen saying
    Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VWIN32(01) + 00000714 to device "0009", service 1. Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct the this problem... It then goes back to the add new hardware wizard again. It says that it is searching for any new devices that are not Plug and Play compatible. After the detection progress, it says it did not find anything. When I click ok it goes back to a blank screen. :cry

7. sierra

I am still in this last mode that I just recently posted. Any ideas as to how to get this back up and running. When I boot up, even normally, it comes up in what looks like safe mode with no desktop. The error message says Display - Your display adapter is not configured properly. To correct the problem click ok to start hardware installation wizard.
    I then get a blue screen saying
    Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VWIN32(01) + 00000714 to device "0009", service 1. Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct the this problem... It then goes back to the add new hardware wizard again. It says that it is searching for any new devices that are not Plug and Play compatible. After the detection progress, it says it did not find anything. When I click ok it goes back to a blank screen. :confused

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Been ages since I've touched a windows 98 box.

Booting into safe mode is okay?

Can you uninstall the video drivers from within safe mode?

9. sierra

I did run the reistallation of W98SE disc . After that the KERNEL32.DLL error still existed. Then I ran the diagnostic disc. 4 errors found.
    Test Errors

3C920 TX Int NIC 0 – NIC Register Test
    Device: 3C920_TX_Int_NIC_0 Test: NIC_Register_Test
    Release: 1083 Nodules(s): Nic
    Msg: EEPROM failure detected. Expected a ‘data’ checksum of FDE3h but found D63h.

Diskette Drive B - Diskette Drive Seek Test
    Device: Diskette_Drive_B Test: Diskette_Drive_Seek_Test
    Release: 1083 Module(s): Diskette
    Msg: The BIOS status indicates the seek operation (positioning the drives’s
    heads to location (Cylinder: 0000 Head: 00 Sector: 09)) failed .

Diskette Drive B - Diskette Drive Read Test
    Device: Diskette_Drive_B Test: Diskette_Drive_Read_Test

Diskette Drive B - Diskette Drive Write Test
    Device: Diskette_Drive_B Test: Diskette_Drive_Write_Test

Any suggestions? I did not run what someone had asked since I didn't have a large enough floppy to copy it to the other computer.

I can boot up in safe mode. Where do I find the drivers?

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

You can find the drivers at your appropriate video card manufacturers website. We could help, but ye'd need to know what video card it is, or if it is onboard video, what motherboard it is.

11. sierra

I do have the drivers and utilities CD that came with the laptop. Would that help at all?

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yes. For the drivers. What model of laptop is this?

13. sierra

Dell Latitude C610

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

15. sierra

Can I load this on my working computer and then put it on a CD to load onto the "sick" computer? I have no access to anything on the computer we are trying to repair.
    Thanks!

16. sierra

I burned this to a CD, but the sick laptop could not read it. The CD drive is in the computer, but when I bring up My Computer, only the floppy drive comes up. Weird, since the floppy drive is not in the machine.
    Any other suggestions. Every time I open any program I get the KERNEL3.DLL error.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds