explorer.exe can't locate normaliz.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by shana5522, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

i stupidly downloaded internet explorer 7.0 beta 2 on my dell dimension E510 desktop, which runs windows xp. it wouldnt open and then my computer was running slow so i tried to delete it. now i can't boot windows. i get the error:

explorer.exe-unable to locate component
    this application has failed to start because normaliz.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem

i get the same thing if i try to boot in safe mode and also if try using the last known good configuration

my problem is compounded by the fact that i live in 2 places, and the place with all my system disks is not the same place where my computer currently is. isn't that always how these things work?

i tried calling dell and they told me to have a local repair place backup my data and then reinstall my OS. is that really necessary? computer repair places around here are quoting me $200-$375. can't i get in there somehow and do a system restore or something? or can i use someone elses system restore disk. does it not work that way? i, obviously, have no idea what i'm talking about.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you can't get into safe / or last known ....then your only hope is to get your system disc and do a "repair" installation ...(that will save all your files and programs ...but lose all your updates.):) :)
    Let me also add ...you could borrow a cd for the repair ...then when you have yours ...do the repair again.

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

1. Turn the computer on.

2. When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time.

See if you get the The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window.

Steve

4. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

even if i do, will that erase all my files?

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Wasn't sure if you had a restore disk or not. This would just be a quick option to restore it to default settings.

The repair option that Tim suggested would save most of your settings/files where this would not. So what I suggested is just another avenue you have available if needed.

Steve

7. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

Ok, I borrowed a system disk from someone to do the repair, but how am I supposed to get it to run? I don't have a start menu or anything because, like I said, it wont boot windows.

8. TimW

You may have to change your boot order in the bios ...but you need to boot from the cd ...enter (to boot from cd)....it will start to load files... enter to install ...f8 to agreement ...then should look for previously installed os ...when it finds xp, options will be to repair ("R") or new install ..."R" for repair ...will look like new install, but all files and programs will stay installed.:) :)

9. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

Ok, I changed the boot order in BIOS and got to the part where you type "R", then it asks me which windows installaton I want to log onto. ?? If after this point, it gets even more complicated, I'm going to need some detailed instructions.

10. TimW

If you hit r when the first screen came uup to either install or repair (from recovery console) you needed to enter to install ....
    Ir you got past that and into the actual repair ...how many versions did it detect? ....if you only had the one version of windows it would have been a repair of that system.
    Tell me exactly what you got.:) :)

Repair installation:
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

11. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

Ok, I guess the problem was that the disk I borrowed was not the proper one to use on this computer. I ended up having someone come and pick it up. In the end, he said he couldn't back up anything (if he had called to tell me that BEFORE he wiped everything out, I would have taken it to someone else), but now I'm up and running again. Thank you for trying to help me, though.

I just bought some additional SD cards and another thumb drive to put my files on so this doesn't happen again. I lost a good chunk of my thesis research that I hadn't backed up yet. Arrg! I got a 4G thumb drive for my files (hope that's enough?) and 2- 1G SD cards (one for personal, 1 for work) for my photos. Was that the right thing to do?

12. Cero

Cero Private E-2

Try this:

- Boot to windows (until you get the error message).
    - Press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> to open Task Manager
    - Click on “New Task”
    - Type C:\WINDOWS\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Follow un-installation process.
    It may take few minutes, so do not interrupt it.
    Reboot when done.

13. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

Thanks, but I posted that 6 months ago. Hopefully, though, if anyone else has the same problem, they can find this and try what you have suggested. I ended up having to wipe out my whole system.

14. dagster

dagster Private E-2

THIS WORKED A TREAT THANKS...Dagster

Try this:

- Boot to windows (until you get the error message).
    - Press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> to open Task Manager
    - Click on “New Task”
    - Type C:\WINDOWS\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Follow un-installation process.
    It may take few minutes, so do not interrupt it.
    Reboot when done.

15. killmurder

killmurder Private E-2

I have seen this problem ,I think is very easy to solve!
    You take the broken harddisk to another pc ,then you can copy normaliz.dll to the broken hard disk. it's ok you can work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds