explorer.exe failing to load - as well as others

Discussion in 'Software' started by stvcerra, Sep 29, 2006.

1. stvcerra

stvcerra Private E-2

I'm having a very serious problem with my computer, at least i think it's very serious because i have never seen anything like this before. When i start my computer up everything seems fine until i try to log in (I'm running Windows XP). Once i enter in my password and it starts loading my desktop background loads and i immediately get an error report that Windows Explorer has failed! When i open up Windows Task Manager and try to see if there are any foreign processes running there are none, just the basic start-up utilities and my antivirus. When i try to start msconfig.exe to try and see if anything is starting up before i can see it it gives me an error of, "---------------------------
    msconfig.exe
    ---------------------------
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------".

I found that to be very strange but what i found even worse was that when i tried to start explorer.exe it gives me the same exact error. The only way i can get to anything is if i run internet explorer from task manager by typing in a web URL. IE picks up on it and i can get online and from there i use the address bar to access different programs that i need or want to use. I tried going to C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe, but when i try to execute it i get error report just like on start-up. So please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

This all started after i restarted when i installed the new internet explorer rci 7 i believe it's called.

I have even tried going to C:\Documents and Settings...\Desktop and try to get to the My Computer properties to attempt a system restore but i get the error report message when it tries to load.

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds