explorer.exe invalid page fault

Discussion in 'Software' started by stormylin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. stormylin

stormylin Private E-2

The system is Windows 98

My husband was running a batch file and accidently deleted files from Windows directory. He restored them form the OEM CD.

When the system is booted up it gets to the point that Windows should load up and we get the message: This program has performed an illegle operation and will be shut down.

It then says:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE@(memory address)

We went to Microsoft support. They said the file is located in the root folder of the C drive. They gave instructions to rename Explorer. This did not work. (The other half says it doesn't work because Explorer isn't under the C drive.) I have no clue.

If any one has any ideas I am really stuck here. This is my business P.C. and I have to get W2 out or I am in for it. :eek:

Thanks in advance

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Does it boot in safemode ?

3. dmeenen

dmeenen Private E-2

I am working on the same problem today. See Microsoft article #249191 and follow the directions to get it working. My problem was that IE6 was overwritten by the old IE from the restoration cd and was causing problems.
    Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds