Explorer File Downloads

Discussion in 'Software' started by shorttex, Jan 23, 2009.

1. shorttex

shorttex Private E-2

Explorer File Downloads

When a file is "automatically" downloaded to your computer by Internet Explorer, it may get stored with the same name, or an index may be added to the name if there's already a copy, depending on the circumstances (a non-auto download usually has a dialog, that asks you something like "Overwrite file XP27.jak?" if there's already a copy, but we're talking auto here, so no dialog about that. My experience has been that if you downloaded 5 cies of that file, you'd have five identical (hopefully) files named XP27.jak, XP27[2].jak, XP27[3].jak, XP27[4].jak, XP27[5].jak... the important point being that the FIRST one has no index.

Now, I look at an app that runs via browser, and when I want to work with a Word Perfect document file, I select the document and the app automatically uploads to me three files: a data file, a "form" document, and a macro that tells WP to load the form and merge the data into it and stay in editing mode. A nearly identical macro does that, but automatically prints the merged document to my WP-default printer and exits. For reasons not known to me the app sends the data and the form to a fixed directory on my workstation, say C:\APPSDIR but puts the macro file in the "current" IE temp directory. I don't care where it puts the (*&#@ thing... the problem is that sometihng in that chain of MS code is saving the file as XP27[1].jak instead of as XP27.jak, and the *&#@$ app runs WP expecting to see XP27.jak, which doesn't exist.

Here's my question: what (if anything) can I do to make the first copy of a file, downloaded "automatically" like that, be the "regular" name and not have the "[1]" added to the name?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds