Explorer freezing on 98SE machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by Laguna_Blue, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Laguna_Blue

Laguna_Blue Private E-2

Hi

I recently moved from California to Colorado. My computer arrived in one piece, but has been driving me crazy with blue screens, lagging and freezing.

My computer was part of a network in California, but it is now all alone and hooked directly to the cable modem. There, I had a router between me and the cable modem, here it's all up to McAfee Personal Firewall to keep my system safe. The blue screens seemed to happen until I removed the microsoft network client setting and cleaned my registry. I no long have the network login screen upon startup.

However, my computer still locks up periodically at different times. Plus, it just kinda lags from time to time for about 5 seconds. I could be opening MSN Messenger and it will lock up. I've tried starting Quicken using the quickstart icons and it locks up, but not everytime. When it's locked up, sometimes I can bring up the "Close Program" box and othertimes I can't. Sometimes, after I have pressed a quickstart button and nothing happens, my cursor indicates that a process is pending, but nothing shows up in the "Close Program" box and I am unable to select anything else on the "Start" bar. Odd that the computer is busy, but does not reflect what's it's doing or that something is not responding. I've also been getting a lot of (not responding) problems with IE.

I'm baffled as to what is wrong with my machine. I need a new computer, I know. I'm feeling so out of date running 98SE, but this is all I have for now.
    I downloaded Hijack This and fixed a couple O16 errors, but nothing else jumps out at me.

Everything is uptodate on my system, as far as I know. The only other change I made is that I'm using a different monitor because mine is in storage.

I'm not sure I've given anyone enough to go on, but if I have, please send your suggestions or comments. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Laguna Blue

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to MG. Maybe, as a result of the move, something is loose inside. Although it is more probably modem related, I would open up the case and remove/reseat all cables and cards. Maybe clean the contacts on the cards with a WHITE Eraser. Make sure you EARTH YOURSELF on a metal part of the case, each and every time before you delve inside the case. Maybe remove and reinstall the RAM as well. Unplug the computer from the wall socket as well, of course, before you start fiddling.

Other MG'ers will help you with the modem symptoms, but checking that all inside is clean and tight won't hurt and will eliminate one possibility, at least. Bazza
    ===

3. Laguna_Blue

Laguna_Blue Private E-2

Thanks Bazza, will give that a try although I think it's probably related to my settings, software or registry. I hadn't even thought it might be hardware because it works most of the time, including accessing the internet.

I got two 0D errors today and decided to make a trip to the storage locker to get my monitor in case there is some sort of incompatibility problem going on with the Eview 15" and my CPU. Seems like I saw somewhere that 0D errors on a 98SE usually deal with the display. I've been running a Gateway VX700 17" since day one on this thing. I have a decent video card, Radeon 7000 and the drivers are up to date...didn't see anything on the ATI website.

Anyway, so far, no blue screens and I don't have to squint anymore...lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds