Export Contacts from MSN Web Mail?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spudly, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Spudly

Spudly Private E-2

How do you export your list of contacts from MSN webmail. My buddy has the below configuration and MSN was his ISP. He discontinued his MSN ISP service and his DSL line is cleared and can be reprovisioned with a new ISP. He can still go to a connected machine somewhere else and browse his webmail. MSN is great about offering programs to "import" address books from other providers for users switching to their service. They do not seen any reson to make it easy to export your contacts or favorites for use with a new web mail program. My freind is not that sophiticated and prefers web mail to Outlook. Any ideas?

He is running Windows XP and IE6.:confused:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I think the only way I can think of at the moment is a long winded way of doing it............ I think he will need to copy and paste the contact area of MSN to a text file than save that, then some other webmail services allow import of contacts!

Or if he uses MSN messenger and the contacts are the same.. then this program may help as it will download the MSN contact list and allow you to save it in XML or HTML format,

http://huizen.dds.nl/~rick_b/tools/Contacts/

3. usasma

usasma Private E-2

I've done this with Hotmail, dunno if it's the same for MSN.

Send an email to your new email addy.
    CC: everyone in your address book

Then, once received at your new email addy it should be fairly simple to add them all to your contacts (and the added benefit is that you can change your address with all your contacts if you tell them it's an address change)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

perfect usama.... great idea as MSN webmail is exactly the same as Hotmail.

5. Spudly

Spudly Private E-2

Thanks for the attention Halo and usasma. I will give this a shot. I am going to see my buddy and get him hooked up with his new ISP now and I really appreciate your suggestions. I will let you know how it all comes out.

Your Spudly Buddy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds