Extending the size of a partition Using DISKPART.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by dandla, Jul 17, 2007.

1. dandla

dandla Private E-2

aloha,
    I recently re-installed windows xpsp2 with a clean install. I partitioned my primary drive (Disk 0) with a 5GB NTFS partition (Disk 0, volume C) to install winxpsp2 into. The remainder of the partition (Disk 0, volume E), is 23GB. It is currently used for "all Programs".
    My problem is that my 5GB partition was apparently far too small. I'm needing to extend the partition ANOTHER 5GB to obtain at least 10GB. I have a factory CD disk for xpsp2. I'm prepared to move all my data from Disk 0 volume E, to an external hard drive.
    I'm reading about using the DiskPart utility that comes with windows at the command prompt. Here are the URL's for the 2 articles I've been focusing on
    http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid68_gci1126671,00.html
    http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1241594,00.html

Based on what I've told you so far, here are my questions:
    Can I use this utility?
    Is there an easier and free or low cost alternative to this utility?
    Can I use GParted or is it limited to Linux OS?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

There's a little bootable program that fits on a floppy called BootIT NG. I've used it many times to extend partition sizes. From what I can tell, you have C: (5gb) and D: (23gb) and you want to add 5gb (from D: ) to C: for 10gb total on drive C. BootIT will do it safely, but you should back up D: first just in case something goes wrong. The description for BootIT says 'Shareware' but I've been using it for over a year w/o any problems. Here's the link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/BootIt_Next_Generation_d646.html
    Good luck!

-hd2k-

3. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha & thx for yur speedy reply,
    I've reviewed bootit NG and thought I had to pay for it...never-the-less, I'm going to need a tutorial on creating a bootable cd and then using it.
    I made a bootable cd with gparted a ISO file using ISO buster for help and burning it on nero. I couldn't figure out how to get it to boot and I'm not so sure that the cd was a successfull burn.
    Do you have the time and patience to walk me thru this???
    thx again...dandla

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

5. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Many thx for the help...I think this will do it.

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I created a bootable floppy disk with BootIT... but I guess if you don't have a floppy drive, it doesn't help much, does it? ;) BootIT is REALLY easy to use once you get it booting. When burning an ISO, you have to use Nero's "Create disc from image" and point it to the ISO file; you can't just burn it as a data file.....

hd2k

There's lots of other FREE burning tools that do images also, CD Burner XP Pro 3 is highly recommended and easy to use..... check the 'Back Up' section here at Major Geeks for it and other free burning apps....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds