External 1TB hard drive questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sabbath351, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Sabbath351

Sabbath351 Private E-2

Im looking to convert my 1tb ext. hdd from NTFS to FAT32, when i attempt it it only leaves me with 32gb of space so where does the rest of the space go?? Only need it coverted to that format to back up my ps3.

2. 94dgrif

94dgrif Corporal

The true limit of FAT32 is, I believe, 8TB (8,192 gigabytes), however I know some formatting programs have limitations on them which is probably how you ended up with just 32GB formatted. Specifically Windows XP format utility limits to FAT32 formatting to 32GB.

In any case, if you use a good third-party utility you should be able to format the whole 1TB. fat32format seems to be such a tool, though I haven't ever used it myself.

There are a lot of people out there that will push for FAT32, but it really wasn't designed to be used for such large files or drives. I don't own a PS3, but I have softmodded our Wii to load backups from a USB hard drive and was able to get that going by NTFS. If the PS3 softmodding scene has loaders that will read NTFS, I would strongly recommend doing it that way instead.

3. Sabbath351

Sabbath351 Private E-2

thanks for the info mate, i asked a friend of mine and he said to go ahead with the Fat32 conversion and then once i did everything with the ps3, to delete the fat32 partition and format it back to NTFS. It took awhile but everything is ok.

As for the ps3 it was just game saves and stuff it was a 40gb release so there wasnt much else but game saves on it.

Is there a way to have a working Fat32 partition and the rest of the TB hard drive as NTFS??

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I wasn't sure so I did some looking and reading. The answer is yes. Partition the drive into two parts then you can format each partition the way you wish.
    Only make the partition for the FAT32 as large as you think you will need, rather than partitioning the drive into two equal parts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds