External 250gb usb hdd, win98 drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by lwfjdm, Jul 30, 2008.

1. lwfjdm

lwfjdm Private E-2

I have a 250GB external mini toshiba HDD bus powered and need a device driver to connect to my computer which is running on win98se platform.

Can any one HELP?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can try installing the chipset software for your motherboard, but that may not work. If you can provide the exact model of the hard drive and the make/model of your motherboard, we may be able to help. Win98SE has very limited native USB support and there may not be any way to get the drive to work. If there's any way you can update your OS to something even slightly newer, like WinME even, the support for the drive would be built-in....

3. lwfjdm

lwfjdm Private E-2

All at MajorGeeks Support Forums,

the exact model of the hard drive :
    MAKE = TOSHIBA
    CAPACITY & ETC. :
    250GB USB MINI HARDDRIVE
    MODEL NUMBER :
    PX1275E-1G04
    (THIS SUPPORTS WIN2000/XP BUT NOT WIN98SE!)

and the make/model of THE motherboard:
    MAKE :
    SOYO
    MODEL :
    5VA22, (VERY OLD)
    CHIPSET FEATURES:
    8/30/96-i430VX-8669-2A59GS29C-00
    (this MB has USB and Infra Red IR features!)

HOPE THIS INFORMATION IS SUFFICIEMT!

THANK YOU GUYS!

4. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

This drive operates on USB 2 conection so you will need a usb2 driver for Win98SE. I found one here
    http://www.usbman.com/USB 2 News.htm
    The other problem is that if I remember correctly that win98 only suports drives up to 120GB so you may have to partion it on another system.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It may be time to start thinking seriously about an update to your OS and/or PC :( Windows 98 is now over 10 years old and has reached the point where it is only useful as a basic web/office PC. Even office use on Win98 is becoming outdated as many newer documents are in the new .docx format which will not run on office apps that work with Win98, and the use of USB devices is now so prevalent and Win98 has VERY limited USB support (as you've discovered).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is true (but I think it's 127gb). If you do partition it on a different PC, be ABSOLUTELY sure to format each 120gb partition as FAT32!!! Otherwise, the drive won't work because Win98 (or WinME) doesn't support NTFS. So you'll need to use either Windows 2000 or a 3rd party tool in WinXP to correctly format the drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds