External drive files

Discussion in 'Software' started by wmarkj, Dec 21, 2007.

1. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

I have Win XP, and I now have a new Maxtor 500 gb external hard drive. I didn't care for the automated back up software included thereon, so I have just been using it to backup. It has files and folders included with my files that I was wondering if ok to delete, or at least backup to a data cd and remove from the drive. They are:

Folders:
    MacOneTouch.app
    Bin
    drivers
    EULA (contains .rtf files)
    guides

Files:
    autorun.inf
    launch.ini
    launch.exe
    mxoicon6.ico
    onetouch4.dmg

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I would say Yes, you can delete all that stuff. The autorun and launch files are probably related: the autorun .inf is read by Windows when the drive is plugged in to a USB port and it, in turn, probably runs the launch files. The .ico file is just the icon that would appear in My Computer for the external drive, and the .dmg file is a Mac/Apple image file of some type. The only folders I'd think about saving are the Bin folder and the drivers folder; I'm not sure what's in the Bin folder, but the drivers folder probably contains drivers for the external drive for operating systems that don't plug-n-play the device.

3. wmarkj

wmarkj Sergeant

thanks. Just to be sure I understand:
    It is ok to delete the .inf and the launch files?
    It is ok to burn the drivers and bin folders to a cd and remove them from the external drive?

thanks again,
    Mark

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds