External Drive Icon changed by itself!

Discussion in 'Software' started by fkbsar, Apr 13, 2013.

1. fkbsar

fkbsar Private First Class

Thank you in advance for your time and help. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have a WD external drive and right clicked on the drive to create a desktop shortcut. When it automatically pasted it to the desktop I noticed that it looked like a piece of paper and when I checked in Computer the drive icon there looked the same. I can still access the drive in Computer but I would like to have the correct icon back. I was able to change the icon on the desktop but can't seem to figure out how to change the other one.

:confused

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

What version of Windows do you have? XP, Vista, 7?

3. fkbsar

It's Windows 7 64bit.

Forgot to say that before I tried to create the shortcut the drive icon looked normal.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. fkbsar

Thanks but it didn't work for me. I found the IconCache.db file and named it IconCache.db.old. Restarted the computer and the crazy icon remains the same. Checked the AppData file again and a new IconChache.db file had been created but still the craziness continues.

6. fkbsar

I found the Autorun file on the External drive while poking around - it says:

[autorun]
    open=wd_windows_tools\WDSetup.exe
    ICON=AUTORUN\WDLOGO.ICO

Now....I didn't run the WDSetup - I just plugged it into the usb port and started using it. I also found a drive icon that I liked and named it WDLOGO.ico but have nowhere to put it since I don't have a wd_windows_tools\ location.

Are there any alternatives other than running the setup. I already have massive files on this drive.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Rename the autorun.inf file. It should default to a standard drive icon after you reboot or unhook and hook the drive back up.

8. fkbsar

Worked. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds