External firewire drive and BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richierichie78, Jan 11, 2011.

1. richierichie78

richierichie78 Private E-2

Okay, i'm gonna admit defeat and ask for some help! I have added a Lacie Quadra 1TB external drive to my setup via firewire 400. I have it daisy-chained with a Focusrite audio interface into one single firewire port. Performance seems to be fine with this arrangement, but it crashes on a regular basis (blue screen). I have never had a crash such as this previously, and this only happens once the drive is switched on - sometimes immediately, sometimes when i try to transfer large amounts of data to/from the drive. I have checked my CPU temperature - that's absolutely fine. I have updated all drivers, and made sure Windows Update and service packs are all up to date. I'm running Vista, 64-bit. Just wondering if, given that it is most certainly the drive causing the issue, there was any obvious fix for this? My instinct is that it might be my wimpy PSU...

Here are the crash dumps:

On Tue 11/01/2011 17:06:17 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini011111-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr+0x488A)
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8001290B1D3)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 11/01/2011 17:06:17 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ohci1394.sys (ohci1394+0xB192)
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8001290B1D3)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
    description: 1394 OpenHCI Port Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 09/01/2011 20:57:11 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010911-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x5A4D0)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA6003524914)
    Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 08/01/2011 17:03:03 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010811-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x553D0)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA60029DB914)
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 07/01/2011 13:24:16 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010711-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA600339F914)

On Wed 05/01/2011 23:40:58 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010511-04.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80011868383)

On Wed 05/01/2011 14:33:23 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010511-03.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA60025BE914)

On Wed 05/01/2011 13:59:33 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010511-02.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA60029DC914)

On Wed 05/01/2011 13:43:38 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010511-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA60027DE914)

2. richierichie78

Oh, and forgot to add that my PSU is 300w. Pretty pathetic, really. I do have a couple of 500w PSUs sitting around, so I might swallow down hard and try to install one of those. :confused

3. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Have you tried attaching the drive just by itself (not daisy chained) to see what happens?

4. richierichie78

Yeah, tried that this morning, and didn't have any problems (at least for as long as I tested it). I need to be using both audio interface and external drive simultaneously, so i'm going to circumvent the whole problem (hopefully!) by installing an eSATA card for the drive and fitting a higher-rated PSU. Thanks for replying!

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

sounds like a good solution. Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds