External Hard disk Iomega 2 Tb not recognized by pc but can't be formatted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richard223, Jul 31, 2013.

1. richard223

richard223 Private E-2

Hi everyone
    I'm new here and even though i have been reading a lot of usueful threads , i couldn't solve my problem at all.

Well i have an external HDD Iomega 2Tb , that after a while stopped to work entirely.
    At first i would get "corrupted data " messages on windows 7, but now i can't access any of its content, even though as soon as i connect it to my pc it DOES get recognized and has a letter assigned, but i just can't do anything on it.

I tried formatting it via windows but the proccess fails before even starting( it looks like any pc i connect it to, detect it at first(like a couple of seconds) but then its connection goes off even though its usb cable is perfect and i also tried connecting with several different cables just to be sure.

Then i used several programs, like "hard disk low level format tool" which as soon as i start the formatting process gives error strings and doesn't even start the process at all( remains stuck at 0%)

I also tried to use "Hard disk sentinel" program which gives it a status of 0% health and suggests me to back its data up. Too bad i just can't access it at all. it also states "REALLOCATED SECTORS COUNT"

with no luck.

I tried booting my pc with gparted and seeing if it could somehow formatting it and assign a new partition but it's like each program can access for a very short amount of time( the hdd led blinks as well) then it can't be accessed anymore and "gets lost" (its led stops blinking as well).

Is there anything i can do ?

It's unfortunately out of warranty .

Thank to anyone who would kindly help me with this.

Cheers

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

1. Unplug drive and open 2nd or 3rd floor window, throw drive out window, close window.:-D

2. Have an exorcism performed on the drive or find a voodoo priest to swirl a dead chicken over the drive while muttering incomprehensible incantations and dancing like a madman.:-D

3. Take drive outside to the pavement, find someone with a large old Cadillac or a bus route and repeatedly run over the drive, or use a 20lb. sledgehammer.:-D

All items mentioned above are in jest.:-D

You could try taking the drive out of it's enclosure and hooking it up to your computer to see if it is recognized by your OS.

3. richard223

richard223 Private E-2

how am i supposed to remove it from its case?
    I mean there are 2 screws where the usb and power cord plug ins are but underneath of that there's a green board.
    It's not like there's the HDD itself, should i remove that board too and the HDD in beneath(veeery noobish question but i never ever did it before).
    thank you very much

4. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Have you tried taking the drive to someone else that has a Win7 machine and connecting it?

Since I don't know the model of your drive(and I've never had one), I'm not going to be much help as far dis-assembly. Sometimes on these drives there are little rubber feet on the bottom or sides (used to make the drive non-slip) that can be removed, exposing screws underneath them.

Maybe one of the other members here with more expertise than I have will join in and provide additional help.

5. richard223

richard223 Private E-2

alright i removed it from its case and this is what i got:

SEAGATE BARRACUDA LP 2TB
    FIRMWARE CC34
    DATA CODE 10201
    SITE CODE SU

thank you very much for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds