External Hard Drive Dock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bushi63, Aug 12, 2009.

1. bushi63

bushi63 Private E-2

Hey all,

I recently bought and external hard drive dock (Rosewill RX-DU100) and was having issues with it. I know it was supposed to be plug and play but for some reason when I plug my hard drive into the dock it reads as a DVD-R drive and not a hard drive. I can add files to this drive but it doesn't give me any information about the drive. The hard drive that I am using is a Samsung HD103SI, which I bought new. Do I have to do anything to the hard drive before I can use it as plug and play? Is there anyway to format the hard drive so that it will read as an external hard drive?

Thanks!

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Go into 'DISK MANAGEMENT' and see if it shows there, if so you can format from there by right click operation and Activate & Asign it a Drive letter.

3. bushi63

bushi63 Private E-2

I am running Windows XP, I dont see a disk manager option. Where should I be looking?

Thanks

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Right-click My Computer and choose 'Manage'

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

As above right click computer/Storage/Disk Management if it is showing refer to my previous post. By clicking on the left side of Reference where it says 'Disk 0' .. Right click. There is a ''Help'' on that page if you are confused.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds