external-hard-drive-for-automatic-backups

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rickyny, Apr 23, 2008.

1. rickyny

rickyny Private E-2

Hello-every-one,
    I-have-an-external-hard-drive-that-I-use-to-back-up-my-files...I-use-the-Vista-automatic-back-up-schedule...so-it-backs-up-only-new-files-once-a-month..so-that-means-that-I-have-the-external-hard-drive-plugged-in-the-back-of-my-PC-24/7....Is-this-wise-to-do?...If-I-get-a-virus-could-it-also-infect-my-back-up-files-as-well?...This-will-just-defeat-the-purpose-of-having-an-external-hard-drive...Should-I-just-not-be-lazy-and-do-a-manual-back-up-intead...and-plug-in-my-external-hard-drive-just-for-the-back-up-and-then-leave-it-unplugged?

Thanks-guys,
    Ricky

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Whats-with-the-lines-it-makes-reading-it-really-hard-im-blind-and-not-going-to-read-it-at-all.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Well no real right or wrong ways to do what you want in relation to backups, sadly yes if your main files are infected then yes they can spread to the saved files, which is why you need to do as much as possible to protect yourself from getting malware ( virii and spyware ) in the first place, things like safe surf, only download from known malware free websites ( Majorgeeks is one such website ), dont open attachments from unknown users, keep all your software and Windows OS upto date always.

A good read How to Protect yourself from malware!

If your only backing up once a month then you could keep the external unhooked and before connecting to do your backup ( and I tend to do mine manually ) run a few malware scans to check out your PC, if clean from any malware then run your backup.

4. rickyny

rickyny Private E-2

Sorry-Major-Attitude-is-that-the-space-bar-on-my-keyboard-doesn't-work...
    itwouldbeawfultoputeverythingtogetherlikethisdon'tyouthink?

5. rickyny

rickyny Private E-2

Thanks-alot-Halo-I-will-do-it-the-way-you-say...is-a-great-idea...Thanks-again.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No probs, let us know how you get on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds