External Hard Drive Installation Problems???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by odiear3rd, Dec 13, 2004.

1. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

I have a DELL4100 PenIII 933/133 384mb 20gb winsME. I bought a WD External 80gb HD. I am confused as how to format the new driver to my computer. WD installation disk does not tell me how to format to new drive to my sys. I thought that the was going to be a simple task. Sort of a Plug n play procedure. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? What changes do I make in BIOS? Divice Manager?? Thanks for any and all help.ODIE :)

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If it is external - load drivers and plug it in and see if under My Computer you have a new drive. If your on Win ME use fat32 format. The drive doens't have an install wizard?
    What have you tried? little more info please

3. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

FooGoo: I ran installation wizard. Ran a Backup. the backup went to my comp hd instead of my new HD( Ext 80hd ). So I know that my comp does not recognize my new HD. So How do I get my comp to format to except to new HD?? Do I make the changes in BIOS? If so how do I do this?? My Comp
    Does not recog the new HD in the Secondary Drive in Devise Mang. There should be a simple procedure to mak that formatlation. Can you help?? ODIE :)

Hope this helps!!

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Is it an internal or external drive?

5. foogoo

if it is *external* it should be plug-n-pray.. plug it in .. goto My Computer and you'll see a new drive usually... (you are running ME) :)
    No BIOS changes..No drive settings.. ect

Since there seems to be some confusion: external is in a case that sits outside the PC - internal is mounted inside the pc case.
    Some of the things you say sound like your using an internal, hence the other person's post.

6. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

In My COMP The setting are both Hd settings( Primary and secondary drives ) are set for IDE Internal drives. I need to change one of them to formate to the new external Hards drive. PRIMARY OR SECOPNDARY?? If everyone thinks that the InstallatioCD should do a automate comfig to MY COMP then maybe I missed something in the original Installation. The Quick Installation guide by Western Dig is not a detail inst. So it could be a problem from my part. I going to do another installation. I have uninstall all that I install before and will try again. Thanks for your help. Will Let you know the outcome. ODIE :)

7. foogoo

So is the drive Internal or External???

8. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

FooGoo: Its a External. (WD External 80gb Dual-option) I have been told by another form member in a different form that he thinks I am trying to use an USB2 External HD on an regular usb port. If thats true how do I upgrade my usb port to a usb2 port?? Im getting more complicated by the minute. Anyone out there know what I should do?? ODIE :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds