External Hard Drive Letter switch up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by portuwhat, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portuwhat

portuwhat Private E-2

Hey guys, here's what's up. My external hard drive which usually becomes F: is now becoming L: regardless of what USB slot I put it in. Now I can't get to my music files through itunes or Windows Media because they're trying to find them in F. Changing USB slots is the only thing I've tried to do because it's the only thing that I thought to do. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Right click on the drive in question in the lower right-hand panel. You'll get a pop-up menu; select 'Change drive letter and paths...' and just make your choices as prompted. I have attached a screen shot below so you can see what I'm talking about....

I hope this helps!

Attached Files:

3. portuwhat

portuwhat Private E-2

That worked! Thanks dlb!

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive Glad I could help!

5. rub3n

rub3n Private E-2

what if you want to change the hard drive letter? from H: to C: it says

'Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or your boot volume.'

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Just as it says, you can't change it.

7. Jordan7123

Jordan7123 Private E-2

dude!!!!!!!!!1thank you sooooooooooo much!!! the drive letter switch worked perfectly!!!!i love you! now my IPOD works again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds