External hard drive not being recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karenr, May 6, 2009.

1. karenr

karenr Private E-2

Hi,
    I have a WD Passport external hard drive that was working fine, but suddenly it's not being recognized by Windows. But the light is on and it seems to be spinning. When I saw that it didn't appear in My Computer, I pulled the USB plug out.. oops, did I damage it?

I rebooted my computer and plugged it back in, still not being recognized. So I'm waiting to find out how to safely disconnect it, and whether it's still okay.

I have another one of these drives, and that one is working fine. Can I swap the USB cable to see if that's the problem?

Thanks,
    Karen

2. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Hi Karen,

Odds are that you didn't damage it when you pulled the plugs. At worst you could have data corruption if you pull the plugs while the drive is reading or writing. Swapping the cables from the known working drive is a good idea and a place to start. Do you have another computer that you could hook the drive to maybe? Is the drive still under warranty?

3. karenr

karenr Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply! I don't have another computer here to test it, but my other USB devices are working fine. Well, except that when I first plugged the external drive in today, my USB mouse froze, but once I rebooted all devices were okay but the external drive.

I will try swapping cables, but since the drive is spinning right now, how do I disconnect it?

Thanks again,
    Karen

4. lcsmith39

Best that you turn off the computer before you unplug the little bugger. That is certainly the safest way.....

5. karenr

karenr Private E-2

The cable was it! Thanks for your help!
    -Karen

6. lcsmith39

Yay! Crisis and tragedy averted! You are quite welcome......

7. fuzionman7

fuzionman7 Private E-2

I am trying to have my hard drive recognize a Verbatim 250 GB external drive. I believe the answer might be in the USB setup. Any tips?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds